A new for me type of charging system problem. Very Odd

StevenT73

Hey Gang,

Before I tell you about the Pathy just wanted to say thanks for all the info here. My first vehicle was a 81 720 King Cab in 88, I have owned 23 Nissan's ( And Datsun's too ) as far as I can recall and I only mention that as I thought I had seen every possible charging issue on a Nissan including one that kept melting throttle cables. But while I would imagine is the alt and given that times are tight the alt was replaced with a 30 dollar used one at a pull-a-part a few months back I can't act surprised, In hindsight I now recall it was off a 88 with a VG30 but was a stripper. No pw,pl,a/c..etc.. That's all they had that day and I didn't even think to look at a Z31 or Max or even a Quest/Villager to see if there was one there. I think the Z31 non turbo would be the only one that would just bolt on but please correct me as I am all ears.

1 Batt light on and dim till revved past 800 or just off idle really, or a load put on it then all lamps come on... But it has 13.9 Volts at idle in gear with everything turned on full blast. When revved it will go to 14.3-5 full load but lamps stay on.

2 lamps on at start, get super bright when revved and will have 14.1 at no load idle and go all the way to 19.3! at 4k RPM's loaded or not.

3 Starts, batt light dim and stays that way till you go past 3000 RPM's then the lamps come on,this one will have mid 13's at idle and go down to 12.4 with load. This is what I have seen several times on many models.

Checked and cleaned all connections esp grounds but for me what I have seen when there is a bad body ground a load will cause it to sputter and the lights will dim and flicker when you hit the brakes.

I had a 88 200SX SE-V6 that was doing #2 but I only found out when I was trying to see why it was eating headlamps, Even though it was boiling the battery over it never did anything at all regarding lamps. But same scenario on the 95 triggers the lamps.

I am hitting the pull a part in the AM and hoping I find something as my mom is in ICU and covering her bills till she gets out is killing me but I am the only kid so its me or no one.

Not to be pushy but could someone lend me some advice asap? This is also my work truck ( TV and Appliance repair) and I can not be without it.

I have looked at all the different postings but am unsure what will really just bolt on as its got to be fixed fast and there is no time to do any mods.

Again, Thank you all and I have some interesting things to post but haven't had time, I know there is talk of the last few years of the WD21 created some odd combos. This is a XE with the chrome wheels and yet it has the limited slip diff and skid plates like a SE with the sport/ off road (?) package. Has a 8 speaker cd and cassette w/windshield antenna but not Bose. Weird.

Put my charged spare battery in the back just in case but if its over 13.5 it should at least not run down? I thought you could run it off the alt alone like some vehicles I have had. Not this one. Oh, when the full load is on it does not act at all like its only running off the battery.

Steve

Ive had 1 and 2 together (or at least close enough to say so, I don't remember exact rpm anymore). It was at fault of the used Maxima Alty. I recently put in at the time. Different alty and I replaced the battery with a known good used one (preventive incase I cooked it from the ride home where it originally failed... Then Driving it for another week)

How dare a junkyard part fail! :lol:

lol.... I hear ya about the 20 year old part failing. That's why I said it was no surprise and it was pointless to get PO'd about it. I will look further to see what my best option is for getting the best or highest output alt that is a bolt on. If there is one that doesn't require much money to make it work, if it really is the best thing to get then I might could swing it. At a minimum if I can't find one on a V6 D or WD21 I gotta find something even if its output isn't enough to get me thru for at least a few weeks, Just wont run the a/c or drive at night for now.

Being my work truck I must fix it asap. All the different scenarios is what stumps me. Every start it will do 1 of the 3 things listed and I have never ran into this before.

To add insult to injury I take the fan shroud off for ease of access and the top hose nipple crumbled, I can get it to a slow leak but I will try to epoxy it for now because while I make a fairly decent living my bills and the ones of mom I am covering till she is well enough has me tapped out. I am far more concerned with her health than a alternator and she needs to get in her deposit box but that may be a little ways off.

Oh, changing battery's with a known good one made no difference.

Sorry for the sob story. Just wanting to explain how a minor issue is a major issue in terms of finances.

I have a lot of Nissan parts of all sorts. I know I am new here but I am sure there is a way to assure people that they won't be burned.

Time to see what I can find. Anyone know what a 95 XE w/most if not all available options came with in terms of amp rating?

Thanks.

Steve

2 lamps on at start, get super bright when revved and will have 14.1 at no load idle and go all the way to 19.3! at 4k RPM's loaded or not.

From my experience, the voltage regulator is failing/has failed. The light might be on because the alty is putting out the volts, but probably not the proper amps?

Anyway, change the alty and I'm sure you will be fine. Too bad you aren't local, I have a couple spares...

IIRC, the Pathy alt is only 50 or 55 amps, the Maxima is 65 amps and the Quest is 90 (but I think it varies slightly depending on the year).

The Maxima alty will need the pulley swapped with the Pathy one, but is plug and play otherwise and a Quest alty needs a little relief grinding and slight bracket modification, but isn't too hard.

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Bud. Hopefully she will be doing better soon. Just keep at it and it should work out...

B

Seems my #s were off in the amp department, but these threads should help you.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33558-quest-alternator-install-in-wd21/?hl=%2Bquest+%2Balternator

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/13706-how-to-install-a-90-amp-alternator/?hl=%2Bquest+%2Balternator&do=findComment&comment=270172

Definitely need a new alternator before it kills the rest of the truck lol. I remember once a Z31 had a bizarre charging issue and it was eating alternators. Plus the battery light was dim or glowing on the dash. In the harness, the battery light wire was touching the charge wire. Fixed that and the problem went away for good.