Thermostat

fearkobe

00 pathfinder. I'm not sure which I got in there right now. My question is with the 180 stat does it normally sit in the middle? If so I want to put 170 degree stat in there instead. Will this effect anything other than the gas mileage? Thanks

00 pathfinder. I'm not sure which I got in there right now. My question is with the 180 stat does it normally sit in the middle? If so I want to put 170 degree stat in there instead. Will this effect anything other than the gas mileage? Thanks

I don't think the factory thermostat is 180 degrees. Why is it that you want to see your gauge read below the middle?

The gauge is not a simple (stupid) gauge. The computer tells the gauge what to read and when the temperature is within a fairly broad range, the gauge reads right in the middle. They don't trust owners to see their temp gauge moving around with normal fluctuations without getting panicked and taking it to the dealership for service. :)

So if you put in a 180 degree, or 170 degree (I think stock is 190), it will probably still read right in the middle.

Is that what you were trying to ask?

What's the reason that you want to install a lower-temperature thermostat?

Also, the temperature gauge reads in the middle from about 155 to 210. The temperature gauge is connected to a different coolant temperature sensor than the engine computer, which uses the "ECT sensor", and either the gauge or the gauge sensor are calibrated to read in the middle for a very wide range of temperatures.

That being said, a few years ago I was having some issues overheating and I changed the stock 180° thermostat to a 170° thermostat in my 3.3l. Before the swap, my ECT reading was 184° (verified using Scan-Gauge OBDII monitor), and after, the temperature reads 177°.