catalytic converter question.

Remus92

So I just bought a 96 for fairly cheap. I know the guy I bought it from so I believe what he told me about the vehicle. He's only had it a couple months and didn't do much with it because of a project on his 240sx.

He told me it had a cel pop up right after he bought it corresponding to bank 2 o2 sensors 1 and 2. So I plan on replacing both of those.

Driving it home I did have characteristic sputtering to o2 sensors not functioning. My last pathy had a bad one when I first got it. But during the long drive home I noticed a greasy sheen on the back window and on the windshield of the other vehicle. It appeared to be unburnt fuel. I was getting terrible gas milage. And the residue does not look like oil and it's not coolant.

So I'm assuming it is in fact gas. So with that much going through the exhaust I'm assuming the bank 2 cat needs replaced. While I'm at it how do I check the other to make sure it is good or not?

Any quick tests to see if it is bad or should I just err on the side of caution and replace both cats?

Also the cel did not come back on during my drive home. But it still was sputtering and running poorly.

I'm just going to order both sides. It's got 268k miles. Chances are they are both bad or the right side isn't too far off from failing too.

I changed a cat exhaust manifold on a 1996 R50, because it was cracked. The other one Both cats were the originals, and it still passed California smog. My recommendation is to not fix what isn't broken, but it's your car and cash...

It was a bit of a PITA IIRC, mainly due to limited access. Long extensions were the key...

B

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to change the left due to the amount of gas shooting through the system. I will probably look at the one on the right while under there and replace it if needed. I can always send the unused part back.

Edit.

Excited to be back in possession of a pathy again. Been away for 2 years almost to the day of buying this one. I will have to make a new welcome post.

This one looks to be in great shape. Not much rust at all. Fluids I have glanced at have been clean, front end and suspension is tight, brakes are good, and it's got 2 fairly new tires.

Once I get it running properly I will change filters and fluids as needed, replace the cracked windshield, and do something to make the paint less faded and sunbaked.

Edited by Remus92

I'm sorry Bud, I totally mis-stated, not sure what I was thinking...

I changed the exhaust manifold, not the cats, but both cats were original and had 260K+ miles on them and still passed smog. Basically means the same thing, I guess...

Congrats on getting back into a Pathy, that is always a good feeling. :beer:

B

If your pushing actual liquid gasoline out of the exhaust. Regardless of cats or no cats. You are running way to rich. Hence your stumble issue. I'd sort that out. Timing, plugs, wires, cap/rotor and or distributor toast (the bushing in it).

The o2 sensors should sort that out. I will know once the parts get here. But I'm waiting on shipping... Because I'm unwilling to spend double the money at a local store where I still have to wait a couple days! :D