Z24? Whats that! I need a water pump...

taylorhayis

So I'm looking for a water pump, for my brand new to me 89 pathy. I had in my head that it looks like this...

$_12.JPG

But that is for 3 liter engines? The guy I bought it from told me is has a Z24 Single Spark, and from my looking it appears that single spark is a mod to the original engine, not a different engine... So I guess my question is, what water pump do I need... I'm stuck! I'm hesitant to look it up via vin because I know the engine has been replaced - but I guess it should be the same as the original hey?

Any insight?

I'm looking at getting one of these water pumps...

And the nissan parts house here just told me that after looking up my VIN, my engine doesnt have a timing belt, but a timing chain. Does that make sense for an 89?

Cheers for any help guys!!

Taylor

I would copy a diagram from my 89 FSM, but I have still not found it after moving :scratchhead:

But that pump you have the image of above is for a VG30 and not the one you need. Looking at US parts house web sites, the one on ebay looks more like it. but what is odd is that the images I saw on product pages showed the pulley and fan clutch attached so it blocks the view of the front. :shrug:

Yes, your engine should have a timing chain so unless there are known problems with them (like bad guides) and depending on the kilometers on your engine, you will probably be ok... but no promises ;)

There are a couple Z24 guys on here, so hopefully they will see this soon. :aok:

We also have a Z24 section, it's not real active because there were just not as many of them. But maybe you can change that :) You can find it as a Sub-Forum of the Garage, once in there rest the filter to Custom . Show All (look for "Custom" in the blue bar at the top of the topic listings. This will show everything in there and works throughout NPORA Forums.

Welcome to NPORA Taylor! :beer:

There are a couple Z24 guys on here, so hopefully they will see this soon. :aok:

Thanks mate!! Looks like a solid community. Looking forward to getting my head around a few things and being able to contribute back. I already miss the guys over at the CX500 forum, but I'm sure we will all be mates soon enough!

Would you mind explaining what Z24 is then? Is it stock from Nissan? But only on '89? Why is it rare...

Got a battery this morning, hoping to get it running this weekend! Good call with the timing chain, I'll leave it be... Just do the thermostat and the pump.

Z24 is the part of the inline 4 cylinder "Z" line of engines that Nissan produced and the 24 refers to this version being a 2.4L engine, just as the 30 in VG30 means 3.0L (VG's are V 6 cylinder engines.)

You likely have one of the last ones produced, or at least installed in a Pathfinder, as I believe they changed to the KA24 (also an inline 4) in 1990.

Oh and you likely have the Z24i. The "i" designates it as Throttle Body Injection. It may say "Electro Injection" on the air cleaner cover, like the VG30i's do.

There are a couple members around with the Z24, but I am not sure how active they are. But there are also a few who had those engines in older Nissan/Datsun 720 trucks. Perhaps they were more common in your area, but over here in North America they are not. I think one of the main reasons is the weight of the WD21's. Not saying that the VG's are power houses (we all not that is not true!) but they do have a little more and WD's need all they can get.

It could also be that it was the cool thing to have in a mini truck the mid to late 80's "I have the V6!" Didn't matter if they were better or not, Toyota's 22R inline 4 was (in my opinion) better than their first V6, but people still liked the idea of having it :rolleyes:

Z24 is the part of the inline 4 cylinder "Z" line of engines that Nissan produced and the 24 refers to this version being a 2.4L engine, just as the 30 in VG30 means 3.0L (VG's are V 6 cylinder engines.)

Thanks for the clarity! I really thought I had a V6 (Haven't had a chance to pop the hood in the daytime yet...) I managed to find a PDF of the FSM too, I'll upload it and post it soon.

I found some of your old Z24 posts on the sub, I like owning unique things :) she'llberight.

The water pump is a little guy. Cheap too. Honestly, depending on mileage, throwing a new chain and guides at it would be a good idea. Guides and tensioners do wear out as they're plastic or nylon. Usually accompanied by a rattle on start up.

The Z24 was Nissan's emissions motor. Not much power is to be expected. The head is restrictive and open chamber. You may have noticed the 8 spark plugs... for optimal power and economy they all need to be firing. They're long lasting little turds though so long as one doesn't let a typical blown head gasket take out the bottom end.

"Not much power" would be about 100hp fresh from the factory for the North American variant, at least in my 1984 D720. He did say that his has been converted to single spark, but I can't imagine why. The exhaust plugs do nothing related to power, they are for reducing unburnt hydrocarbons. The solid state electronic thingie in the dizzy failed on mine so the exhaust plugs weren't firing, and you couldn't tell any difference driving it.

Sorry taylorhayis, I never had to replace anything on the engine for the 10 years I had it, so I'm no help there. I did run across this...

All gasolene Z20, Z22 and Z24 engines were known as NAPS-Z (NAPZ or NAPS-Z Nissan Anti Pollution System), NAPZ motors had dual sparkplugs (2 per cylinder) except the pre-82 versions and latest versions of the Z24i as fitted to the Pathfinder. However all NAPZ engines sold in California reportedly had dual plug heads regardless of the year.

So it sounds like your motor set up is factory. Number of plugs shouldn't affect the water pump though, so it should be the same part spanning a few years.

B

Sorry taylorhayis, I never had to replace anything on the engine for the 10 years I had it, so I'm no help there. I did run across this...

So it sounds like your motor set up is factory. Number of plugs shouldn't affect the water pump though, so it should be the same part spanning a few years.

All good. New water pump should be here today, stuck a 550cca battery in it last night and fired it up! SHE'S ALIVE! This weekend I'll do the pump and thermostat and fingers crossed pass a roadworthy! (Gotta take off the 33's to pass...)

Bloody Australian laws. I remember my first pathy, I met the girl in a Wallmart parking lot in the states, gave her some cash, drove off and went for a rip. No inspections at all...