Pathy 2001 LR50 Gear Flaring and little hard to Shift from Parking to D & Reverse

Dear All,

Please advise on this issue,

1 month back I bought this Pathy 2001 Model L R50, and after driving around 2 weeks, it started flaring when driving in between 110 to 130 kms/ hours. There was some missing issues also, so took it to mechanic, He changed the following parts.

1) Gear Oil

2) Gasket Gear

3) Tensioner

4) Thermostat

5) Spark Plugs 6

6) ATF 21c

7) Knok Sensor

Now the flaring problem is resolved, but when shifting the gear from Parking to Drive gear/Reverse gear, its giving a thrust, pushing the vehicle forward/back ward. is this a common issue for pathfinder of this model? or some gear/ engine problem/ mounting problem?

please advise

What's the idle speed when you shift from P to any gear? High idle will result in a hard shift when placing the transmission in gear.

It sounds like the transmission fluid may be of a different type than what was previously installed, and the torque converter is engaging more forcefully than before.

Dear XPLORx4,

Idle Speed means the RPM reading on starting the engine without applying accelerator? rpm Meter shows 1.25(one point next to RPM 1 in meter) on starting the engine without acceleration, it looks like my mechanic increased the same adjust the missing issue as mentioned before. please tell me what will be the normal reading in the rpm meter on starting, also there is a increased rising sound when idle from before, so your explanation matches with my issues. The second thing, can you give specification of recommented Gear Oil, I will change it and check if the problem will get solved. there is also a small thrust developing when the car is brought to a stop now after a drive, meaning when the gear is shifting back to 1 Gear automatically.

Waiting for your reply.

When engine is cold, idle speed will be faster (up to 1500rpm) and will slow to around 700-800 after engine warms up to normal operating temp. RPM will drop if you shift the transmission into gear.

The 2001 Pathfinder recommended transmission fluid is Nissan Matic "D" ATF or a Dexron III/Mercon compatible ATF. AC Delco makes several different types of ATF. Ask your mechanic which type of AC Delco ATF he used.

Dear XPLORx4,

Thanks for your Help, I will update you after adjusting the idle speed.

Idle speed varies on operating temperature, from 1100 to 1250RPM for my car, means after a long drive when braught back to a Parking, this shows 1250RPM which gives maximum thrust on shifting gear from Parking to Drive/ Reverse, and after normal driving, its 1100RPM.

Hope this variation is normal.

Dear XPLORx4,

Thanks for your Help, I will update you after adjusting the idle speed.

Idle speed varies on operating temperature, from 1100 to 1250RPM for my car, means after a long drive when braught back to a Parking, this shows 1250RPM which gives maximum thrust on shifting gear from Parking to Drive/ Reverse, and after normal driving, its 1100RPM.

Hope this variation is normal.

Your engine's idle speed seems a little bit high. That's all.

I think that normal idle speed, when engine is fully warm and transmission is in PARK, should be 750-850ish... (that is NOT official numbers from the service manual though, just my guess).

The RPMs will drop further when the transmission is in DRIVE. Perhaps 650-750.

The variation in your engine's idle speed (assuming all readings are a fully warmed up engine), could suggest that you might have a vacuum leak. That would also explain the idle being higher than normal.

The idle speed adjusting area was jammed (where acceleration cable is coonected to engine), mechanic rectified the same.Just asked mechanic to reduce the idle speed, said nothing abt gear problems, charged me 15 DHS, equal to 5 Dollers...I thought this was a gear box/ mounting problem...

Now every thing looks normal. no thrust on changing gears, vehicle became extra smooth on driving...want to go for a long drive to enjoy/check the difference.

Special Thanks to

1) XPLORx4,

2) bushnut

3) jyeager

you people are really helpful..keep helping others who love their Pathy's/Driving

That was nice of you to come back and post the outcome. All too often threads like this end without any resolution, which is very angering for someone searching for the same problem down the line!