looking to get a 99 to 2003 pathfinder

fearkobe

my sister looking to get a nissan pathfinder from a 98 to 2003 and was wondering whats the commen problems with these. looking to get a automatic 2wd. mainly hows the engine and transmission on these? thanks

AFAIK and from my own experience, the motor and transmission will usually outlast the body and frame on these rigs. That is, if you conduct the regular recommended maintenance of course. But IMO very reliable.

• Like 2

so tomorrow we are looking at this 02 with 177k miles on it says everything works except to radio doesnt have any reception. is that a common problem with these? also im gonna look at the frame make sure there isnt any rust.

Edited by fearkobe

I wouldn't say common problem, no. Sounds like the antenna or antenna cable. Should be an easy fix. As long as the the CD and other functions work. Make sure you get underneath it and take a good look at bushings, rust build up/flaking. Ask when all fluids were last changed, including front diff and transfer case, transmission fluid and of course motor oil. That should give you a good idea of how well the vehicle was looked after.

Edited by CDN_S4
  • Like 1

Obviously check for rust, but if the vehicle is from the western states, there won't be any, nor will it be an issue going forward.

The Pathfinder switched from a VG33 motor to a VQ35 motor for 2001-2004, that is the main difference. Both good motors; the VG33 has a timing belt that should be changed every 105k miles, the VQ35 has a timing chain that will need work when the guides wear (150k-ish?) but has more power and slightly less MPG IIRC.

The transmissions are not problematic with regular fluid changes and reasonable driving, but an after market cooler and filter is usually a good idea.

We own a 1999.0 and a friend has a 2003, both are great, reliable vehicles.

B

• Like 1

ended up getting a 00 with 128k miles automatic. only problem is the radio the only one speaker is working sounds really flat no bass. could this be the speakers are going bad? thanks for the replies and yes the timing belt was replaced at 104k miles.

I'd say just replace all the speakers and head unit with aftermarket. Get Bluetooth handsfree calling. I love my upgraded unit. Made trips much more enjoyable. Well worth it.

• Like 1

Ok so I just noticed this when you rev the motor and I noticed after you rev it as the idle goes down it looks like the engine or transmission shifted. Anyway this sound is coming from the passenger side below it doesn't sound this loud I guess I have a good mic on my phone. But other than it runs great. Anyway here's the link Engine noise: