clank clank clank

Is the sound every time i hit a bump in my pathy. Just replaced the cv axles with cardones new and they flopped right in. Could bea strut bearing? It only sounds like its from the right side. Any suggestions

Could be any number of things, bearings, ball joints, TRE'S, LCA bushings or strut mount/ bearing.

I'd suggest doing the wheel wobble test to rule some stuff out, looking for excessive play in bearings, ball joints and steering items.

-Kyle

Sway bar links largely solved that problem for me, just do a quick inspection of the boots and bolts, they might not be tight enough. Otherwise it could be the strut mount being dead, untightened, or broken, among the other things listed above.

• Like 1

Sounds like sway bar links for sure! You can easily check by hand or mallet. Just get under there and give it a bump. If there's play that's your issue. Easy fix.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info fellas. I should also add that i recently installed ac coils and 1" spacer and replaced everything in the strut assembly except the bearing lol. I tried to jiggle it but it seems solid. I was thinking sway bar. It seems like anytime my car "rocks" back and forth it clanks real bad lol is it pretty simple to replace the sway bar links or bushings? Any better thab others? Maybe polys? Never taken it out before but im sure i can figure it out

• 3 weeks later...

I too am getting a clanking sound from my front right. I replace the Sway bar mounts, put new bolts, including camber bolt into the strut mounts and nothing worked. Still clanks about. End links and tie rods as well as ball joints are all newly replaced. It does "feel" like it comes from the strut though, ever since I put the OME's in. From what i've read above, I'm starting to think it could be the strut mount bearing. I did have a hard time getting the passenger side one back on after I put the new springs on. It sounds like something was lose, but nothings appears to be lose. Lucky for you the links solved the problem, that's what I was hoping too, especially where the original ones were shot.

Grab onto the cv axle and shake it and the same with the sway bar. That's how i discovered what my rattle was. At first i thought it was only cv axles because i could move them and it would make the same noise. After that i still had a clank. Got underneath and shook the sway bar and got it to rattle a little not much. Then shook the sway bar on the passenger side where it connects to the end link and there it was. Takes 3 minutes to do that.If you confident it is neither of those things then really the only thing left is the strut bearing

Also i know the sway bar end links kind of suck to tighten all the way down. Its just tedious. Make sure when you replaced them you really tightened them down all the way

Good advice. I'll give those 2 things a shake. I did shake the sway bar and it didn't make any sound. I torqued the links to spec. I'm quite confident they are on tight. The sound seems a bit "springy" sounding, almost a bit like a pop. I would imagine the strut assembly to sound like that if it wasn't bolted down tight. Which it is. I checked that last night after putting in a camber bolt.

I had a hard time re-assembling the passenger side strut assembly. I wonder if maybe the top part with the bearing in it just isn't sitting right. For a while I couldn't get that centre nut back on the shock, so once I did, I thought it must be right, otherwise it wouldn't have worked. Now I'm second guessing myself. The last thing I wanna do is take it all apart again. But if the CV axle yields no results then I might just have to.

Gave everything a shake and all seems tight. All in all my front consists of new struts, new springs, new ball joints, new complete tie rods, new sway bar end connectors and new control arms. At last my clunk is gone. Turns out it was the control arms. Still get vibration though.

I'd say your vibe is from the angle of your CV

Sent from fat fingers on S6

That's what I'm thinking too. That's why I have a 4" SFD on the way.