Anyone have any pictures of a Kouki (updated) with early model flares?

Okay, since i just recently collected one of the last and major pieces i need for my conversion, the hood. I'm at the point where i need to decide what flares I'm going to run, i have a selection of both styles, and I'm torn. It would be great to see if anyone has photos on a kouki model with zenki flares.

I've seen the opposite and it looks really weird, and i just cant quite visualize it, and I'm too lazy to Photoshop it....

So if anyone has some photos of that, i would greatly appreciate you sharing it!

Thanks

-Kyle

PS. Does anyone have any tips on actually removing the flares without destroying the fender, flares or the clips you need?

I can't help with the pics but when removing, unscrew the screws that are exposed along the wheel well, and remove the fender liners. If you reach up in there it should let you squeeze or force out the clips from the backside, making it fairly easy. Then just count and replace the clips for the install, trust me they'll be brittle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, that makes WAY more sense now that i think about it. Ill probably order some new fender rubber along with the clips, hope they are cheap, im gonna need alot!!

And i was able to find some pics, (mainly just color matched early gens) from my personal library of reference photos and ricer pit known are car domain (not saying everything on CD is awful, but for the most part...it is)

Anyway, too tired to comment, but from the bad photos, i think i can say that i'd like to keep the zenki flares. Just paint them "Super Black"

16898732247_770caed5a0_b.jpg

16485980223_36088afdd6_o.jpg

17104605832_e9492bb672_o.jpg

16918564490_69d1e66e02_o.jpg

16918564430_9aae322bd3_o.jpg

• Like 1

Some more.

17106358395_2722c035de_o.jpg

16918570248_182b63b184_b.jpg

17106358385_22947c2c02_o.jpg

So that's where i'm at i guess....

If anyone has anything else to offer, please post, i still want to see it on a kouki so i can visualize the proportions body lines outside of my head, photoshops welcome!

Thanks

-Kyle

Huh, I actually like the kouki flares on a zenkei. If they're color matched to the body it looks really clean, I didn't know they were that much wider, or at least look wider.

Really? I saw a black zenki with kouki flares and it looked so weird, like out of proportion somehow. I'll post the pics I took later. And they are a tad wider, that's a big reason why I want to keep them.

-Kyle

Eh English in names?

Sent from my Moto X

Zenki = Before

Chuki = Between/ Middle

Kouki = After

These are roughly what the intended Japanese meanings are, they are common phrases used in the 240sx world, used to determine what iteration of 240 you were talking about. Certain changes or alterations were only found on certain generations, so they use these as sort of slang to distinguish them.

Yeah, what are we looking at/for? The flares on the purple one look no different than my flares, except purple. Cobra Kai Dojo? (Sweep the leg.)

Basically i'm looking for a late model pathfinder (01-04) with the early model flares (96-99). I've been planning on doing a conversion for some time now, and I've been slowly collecting parts for two years now. And i finally got that last piece i needed recently.

I'm torn for what flares i should use. The Zenki Flares ( 96-99) are a little wider but the Kouki's flares (01-04) might just flow better. I want to get a visual reference before i have them painted. I have both sets i just don't know which i want to have painted... Might have both done and just try them out and see which i like more...

Sorry for the confusion.

The purple one is just something i posted to give me and others (just in case) an idea of what early model (Zenki) flares look like painted to match the body, as the only generation of Zenki to come with painted flares where White SE or LE's? Not %100 sure on that, but i have seen more than a few, white Zenki's with color matched flares.. What's crazy is i think that purple is a factory color in japan!!

Karmann, here is the black Zenki i saw that had Kouki Flares. It just doesn't do it for me, i don't know if its the stock XE wheels, or what, but in black, this combo just doesn't look right to me. Pictures actually turned out fairly well, considering i was attempting to get on a busy freeway while doing this (yes stupid, i know)

17117203281_2c9cb458da_c.jpg

16930299390_b56b2a85e6_c.jpg

16930058938_51cc0f9d16_c.jpg

16497700973_5a7f5b8fcb_c.jpg

17117203281_2c9cb458da_c.jpg

Credit where credit is due, this flare install looks pretty clean, maybe even some customization done in the rear for a cleaner look.

-Kyle

Thanks, that helps. Honestly, I was really curious because I've seen your other posts before (and I had only heard the terms for 240s also, but still had no clue).

So basically, you're tossing around options to put color-keyed flares onto your truck, but not sure if the older or newer ones look better? Personally, I like the newer ones, if what are on my 04 are called Kouki.

In the pics you've got of that last black one, it also doesn't seem to me that the guy would bother adding flares, let alone customizing them. It's a stock rig...seems like it just came like that. (Btw, is that the interchange right by the airport getting onto I-5 South in the first/last pic?) And wouldn't that be a middle (Chuki)? I noticed it has the flat edge like a newer flare, but on the rear flares, it's a one-piece design that extends over the edge of the bumper. On the older and newer flares, it's two-pieces: one for the fender, one for the bumper (and possibly a variant for those with mud flaps).

I think you also need to see them with the integrated mud flaps, instead of the simpler rubber flap or nothing at all. The purple one looks awkward without them.

Or you could always put on the Kouki fender flares and cut off the mudflap then smooth the rearmost flare that attaches to the bumper. I did that a while ago and it looks 100x better IMO if you already have the front flaps off. I did it mainly for clearance, I didn't want to have them get ripped off in a steep wash incline, but the appearance is really nice too.

Thanks, that helps. Honestly, I was really curious because I've seen your other posts before (and I had only heard the terms for 240s also, but still had no clue).

So basically, you're tossing around options to put color-keyed flares onto your truck, but not sure if the older or newer ones look better? Personally, I like the newer ones, if what are on my 04 are called Kouki.

In the pics you've got of that last black one, it also doesn't seem to me that the guy would bother adding flares, let alone customizing them. It's a stock rig...seems like it just came like that. (Btw, is that the interchange right by the airport getting onto I-5 South in the first/last pic?) And wouldn't that be a middle (Chuki)? I noticed it has the flat edge like a newer flare, but on the rear flares, it's a one-piece design that extends over the edge of the bumper. On the older and newer flares, it's two-pieces: one for the fender, one for the bumper (and possibly a variant for those with mud flaps).

I think you also need to see them with the integrated mud flaps, instead of the simpler rubber flap or nothing at all. The purple one looks awkward without them.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.

And not at the moment. Im looking at doing the Zenki to Kouki Conversion, hopefully over the summer. What im curious at seeing is what is a Kouki looks like with Zenki flares. Just so i can get a visual on how a Kouki looks without the front flare extension that the Zenki's have, and if the rear mud flaps will even work, because if not, im stuck with Kouki Flares.

I like the Kouki flares, im just exploring the idea to see what the Zenki flares will look like, if the Kouki's are all that will work, or just look better, so be it. Im totally okay with that.

Or you could always put on the Kouki fender flares and cut off the mudflap then smooth the rearmost flare that attaches to the bumper. I did that a while ago and it looks 100x better IMO if you already have the front flaps off. I did it mainly for clearance, I didn't want to have them get ripped off in a steep wash incline, but the appearance is really nice too.

I want to keep the mud flaps, sick of crap hitting my doors, dang duratrac's ripped off my original ones. So far the only Con of owning those tires... :lol:

-Kyle