Collecting suspension parts for my 2" lift, but........

Rons50

Hey members,

So just about done with purchasing all the parts for my 2" lift, but I am either over thinking or confused about 2 parts.

Are upper link bushings typically included in the control/trailing arms? And my understanding is controlling arms are side to side arms and trailing arms are front to back, is this so?

I searched if I can purchase upper link bushings, but I could not locate. I was hoping to get polyurethane bushings.

Any clarification would help. Thanks in advance.

Technically 'control arm' and 'trailing link' are specific terms...but they are almost always used as generic terms. In regard to the truck's rear suspension, they are often used interchangeably.

The correct specific terms for our trucks would be 'Panhard bar' for the arm that runs horizontal.

and 'Lower link' for the longer arms and 'Upper link' for the shorter arms above the axle.

When you buy new control arms, you should already have new bushings in them. You can expect rubber. Rubber is actually good for a truck, IMO.

I would put Poly bushings in a performance car, but in a truck, why not enjoy the extra bit of comfort you can get when hitting bumps?

Besides, unless you get custom arms with a spherical bearing on one end...the only articulation you get is from twisting of the metal control arms and flexing of the rubber bushings....You will really limit suspension flex if you get the poly bushings.

Why are you replacing the control arms (and or control arm bushings)? You don't really need to, unless the rear control arm bushings are worn out; you will know if you experience the "death wobble", in which the rear axle will randomly mildly steer the vehicle back and forth under certain acceleration/coasting/deceleration conditions.

Do you have slop in your alignment or front steering? If yes, then that would potentially be caused by worn front lower control arm bushings.

It is fairly labor-intensive to replace the factory rubber bushings with polyurethane. The most difficult part is removing the metal collar of the old bushings from the control arm, so that you can fit the new bushings in. It may be simpler for you to simply replace all 4 rear control arms than it is to install poly bushings.

Some time ago, after my Pathfinder exhibited the "death wobble" due to the rubber bushings becoming worn out, I replaced all of the rear trailing link/control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings from 4x4parts.com. The control arms are made of steel that does not twist when torsional forces are applied to it, so axle flex is controlled by the bushings themselves. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any decrease in suspension flex after swapping in poly bushings.

By the way, the death wobble is caused primarily by worn bushings on the lower control arms. Those are the ones that locate the axle front/back. The upper control arms primary purpose is to control axle wrap. That is, they keep the axle positioned vertically during acceleration and braking. The panhard rod (or transverse link) locates the axle side-to-side.

Edited by XPLORx4
  • Like 1

Did anyone ever tell you guys you are awesome in this forum? Well, if not...you-are-a-w-e-s-o-m-e! Clarification well done.

Yes, I do have the dead wobble and slight slop so I wanted to take care of these issues and my lift in one shot. I have this misconceived notion of poly bushings being an upgrade for every vehicle which is not a good thing and thanks for straighten that out for me. I appreciate that.

I was missing the technical terms as you guys had used in your explanation so I have a better picture.

So I'm actually set with all my parts then. Next is shopping for tires for my 16x8 wheels...

Thanks again fellas.

I will eventually post pictures when I'm done.