Help - Rough/Stumbling/Won't Start

Hackworth

While driving my '97 to work, I stopped at a stoplight, then went to go when it turned green and the Pathfinder jerked, then I couldn't get it past 20 or so mph. I parked it immediately, and went to start it approximately 45 minutes later. No start. Several hours later, started up and ran fine. Drove it home, drove it back to work, and it started stumbling after 6 or so miles. Now, it's got a rough idle and will occasionally stall. I've replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, no change. Any ideas? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

^ would say spark or false air report. Pop the cap off of the Dizzy and check for the red dust. Also check for a cracked boot on the air tube after the maf. I would let the truck cool completely, take the maf off, clean it with a q tip and maf cleaner or alcohol "90 percent is best" be sure there is nothing on the wire, and be very gentle when u clean it. Running that bad it would almost have to have a fleck of something on it that you can see easily. if cleaning it doesn't help, use a multi meter or something like torque to see if it is functioning properly.

Pat

Edited by fixinto

While driving my '97 to work, I stopped at a stoplight, then went to go when it turned green and the Pathfinder jerked, then I couldn't get it past 20 or so mph. I parked it immediately, and went to start it approximately 45 minutes later. No start. Several hours later, started up and ran fine. Drove it home, drove it back to work, and it started stumbling after 6 or so miles. Now, it's got a rough idle and will occasionally stall. I've replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump, no change. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm leaning towards a spark problem.

You couldn't get it to start after sitting for 45 minutes, I'm going to guess that was open loop then, but can't be sure.

You can verify it by forcing open loop. You could disconnect one of the sensors needed for closed loop operation, like the coolant temp sensor, the MAF sensor...

You will get a trouble code, but the truck should stay in open loop for you. If all is fine then, you can be sure it's a sensor problem that pertains to closed loop operation.

But if you still have the stumbling, stalling, or failure to start, you can be pretty sure it's spark related (but can't completely rule out fuel pump).