How much LSD additive in the h233b rear end?

RCWD21

Ive searched multiple forums but i cant seem to find my answer anywhere and now that my gas mileage issue has been fixed I'm finally getting around to changing the differential fluids (did the front today) but here's my question. How much additive do I put in? I have a tube of trans-x posi-trac additive and it says to add the whole tube but I'm not sure if that's too much or what. I know there are oils that already have the additive but I can't return this tube and since I have it I might as well use it. Its a 7 ounce tube. Anyone have an answer for this? This is the last fluid I have to change.

Some people have used LSD additives with regular oil, but I thought they were usually used in some sort of ratio to the amount of oil being replaced.

I don't know this product so can't say anything about it, but ultimately, just follow the directions? :shrug:

It is for LSD rear ends?

B

It says limited slip gear oil additive on the front and per the directions it says to add the entire contents of the tube but then it says not to overtreat. I was told to try half the tube at first and see how that did but now I'm unsure of what to do.

Try contacting the manufacturer, stating the capacity of the diff and asking the proper amount to add, point out the vague directions if necessary. Most companies want you to use their products 'correctly' so you'll get good results and keep using them.

B

5&7/8 pints, so 3 quarts, but I want you to do something as well.

Go to the pinned FSM thread in the Garage section, follow the links and download your own free copy of the 1994 year (the earliest one) and look in the MA file. The vast majority of the info is the same as the 1990 model barring dash, exterior trim, timing belt intervals and tie rod end sizes. 95% of it applies to you and is your new bible... ;)

B

I actually looked in there and couldn't find it haha I may have just over looked it. Every vehicle I've driven and worked on I find an FSM for it. Best thing out there haha but thanks for the info!

5&7/8 pints, so 3 quarts, but I want you to do something as well.

Go to the pinned FSM thread in the Garage section, follow the links and download your own free copy of the 1994 year (the earliest one) and look in the MA file. The vast majority of the info is the same as the 1990 model barring dash, exterior trim, timing belt intervals and tie rod end sizes. 95% of it applies to you and is your new bible... ;)

B

I checked there for the LSD additive. I might have missed it, but it doesn't seem to mention even using LSD additive, just compatible oil.

I'm just going to try and return this tube and get 3 bottles of castrols LSD oil and go with that.

Edited by RCWD21

How ever you want to do it. I put Castrol w/additive in my first 1995 and it worked well. Well enough that I had to watch the gas pedal while turning at slow speeds on wet roads...

I checked there for the LSD additive. I might have missed it, but it doesn't seem to mention even using LSD additive, just compatible oil.

Correct, it states LSD gear oil GL-5, but that is really only gear oil with a LSD additive pre-mixed; oils are all formulas these days. :shrug:

My referencing the OP to the FSM was mainly page MA-8 where it shows the types and capacities of fluids and lubricants.

B

• Like 1

My big thing is just the confusion on how much to add to the oil for the correct ratio. I don't want too much or too little. And its not much more to just get the oil with the additive already mixed in. Plus its easier and its a well known oil

I may just keep the tube and put half in the front diff and the other half in the transfer case. It says it can be used in both and it has friction modifiers so it'll only improve the performance of the oil in there