Identify this for me?

jyeager

Changing the belts on my pathy yesterday I noticed a spin on filter hidden up under there.

It's up front just behind the pullies and the nearest thing is the power steering pump.

Here is a picture.

FullSizeRender1_zpstsakgi7a.jpg

'97, I need to fix that typo.

About 30 minutes ago, I thought to myself "I never actually looked where the oil filter should be...maybe that thing was the oil filter" and panicked a little over making a fool of myself.

I've always taken it to the oil change place. I only bother to change my own oil on my babies that get synthetic and that I don't want other people touching.

I was trying to think how many cars I've done my own oil changes on over the years...6+, more with helping others change theirs...and never seen one at the front of the engine. I don't know who should be more embarrassed...me or the engineer that designed this. :)

I wondered if there was some super cool filter for the power steering fluid. I knew it was the transmission (my Saturn had a spin on filter for the tranny), because it wouldn't have been located up there any more than engine oil would have been --- so I thought.

Thanks for not crucifying me. (or have I spoken too soon!??!!)

Fixed it for you. ;)

Nah, a little bit of razzing at worst, the pain should only last a minute. :tongue:

Seriously though, that placement is far better than the WD21 VG30, it is directly over the starter and at a 30 degree angle; absolutely impossible to remove without spilling oil. The only pain is to remove the 'skid plate' all the time.

IIRC, my wife's Toyota Matrix has a vertical filter up front as well, so others like it do exist.

B

Razz Razz! O.K. I'm done. As for the engineer that designed it think he was the one that replaced the guy that designed the one for the VG 30 starter soaker.