need some advice...vehicle issues

oasisx

Hey guys. I don't post often but I always browse. Anyways I have a dilemma and could use some guidance. I have some issues with truck and it's making me unsure of my original plan to keep it until it dies

I have an 01 pathfinder with 120k, runs great mechanically. Now here's the problems:

1: rust! Omg it came out of no where I have a fairly large hole in my driver side front fender. I had some by my passenger mirror which luckily I caught early and grinder it down and painted over with rust inhibiting paint. And not ttenting all the corrosion under the car, it was impossible to get some bolts off for some simple maintenence

2: exhaust. This goes back to the rust issue. I'm on my 2nd exhaust that is just about shot since I've had the truck (got it in 09)

3: Gas mileage: my mpgs is tanking pretty hard...I get like 13-14mpg on avg mostly hwy driving. I used to get 19 or so,I don't know why the sudden drop over the last year or so.

Car is used for commuting and some mild offloading in the summer. I'm just torn and i don't know what to do, I'm paying off student loans and don't want a car payment right now but at the same time I don't want to invest more money into this car which I feel is crumbling away slowly from all the rust

....anyways thanks for reading my rant, I would appreciate anyways any advice

As for your rust issue. Well, your in the part of the country that salts the roads. You can buy some Ospho and coat it good, then paint it. http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm Works great btw!

Exhaust, well unless you get one made out of stainless steel. It will rot away from added salt. No win there.

MPG; when was the last time you changed your plugs? Air filter, cleaned TB and MAF. O2 sensors, throwing codes for them? Tires and size. There's quite a few factors. Plus added weight your carrying around, like camping supplies 24/7.

If your on a budget and this truck is currently running good otherwise. I'd say keep it. Unless you are constantly doing maintenance. Then if the cost of yearly maintenance is more than the cost of a cheap car payment for something newer and better on MPG. Also account for insurance premium increase.

I just retired a '98 320,000 kms, runs great but just rottet underneith. I had the strut towers "repaired" under the recall but the front uni frame disintagrated around the repairs. Replaceing a fender is easy but strut towers, rocker panels, unibody front rails, floor, fire wall, rear wheel wheels, rear fenders lips etc. not so easy. If it's solid underneth then fix the rest if it's bad under it I would and have given up. I just bought another Pathfinder. For under 3 grand I up graded to a '03. Gotta like an extra 82 HP with the 3.5 and the better mileage.

It's been about 2 years since I cleaned my tb and maf sensor and the o2 sensor hasn't been changed since I got the car...I'll look into getting a new one to see of that helps with the mpgs...

As for the underside of the car I mean it corroded for sure. All my heat shields have rusted and fallen off its not insanely terrible but Def the worst of any car I've ever owned.

I appreciate the insight, financially it makes sense to ry those quick fixes for the mpgs and try and slow the rust down maybe get a new exhaust.

Any clue on costs for a custom piped stainless vs non stainless exhaust?

Just looked at that ospho site and some reviews that seems pretty promising, any experience using it? Looks like u just wire brush the surface and brush it on? Any idea if theres any sirfaces to be careful not to pain over on the underside?

I've used it with my local 4x4 club. Wire brush or scotch brite the axles etc. Gob the Ospho on. Turns black, then rattle can paint it. Stuff works.

Maybe steer clear of brake and fuel lines. About what I can think of.

Who cares if the the axle housing rusts. The important spots are the strut tower area and the a pillar.

Did you never think to have it oil sprayed this entire time? I see 15 year old pathys that still look new because they were rust proofed.

Ok, so I going to get some new o2 sensors and see if that helps with the gas mileage. Should I replace all 4? And if so, I see the upstream vs downstream difference but some have specific sides listed, does it truly matter what side they go on? I can't find and right sided upstream ones on the sites I've looked at.