Question for the manual trans guys

01Pathmaker

Going to look at another '01 SE this week, but this one has the 5 speed manual (I'll be so happy to be back in a manual again!). What kind of miles are you guys logging before having to replace the clutch? I know there are many variables, just looking for a rough average, especially for the 3.5/5speed/4wd combo.

Ok. If I remember correctly, the seller said it's got 155k on it. If that's the case, I'll have to find proof that it's already been done or plan on doing it soon (if I buy it). Just another point for negotiating! Pics look really clean, he says no rust and clean interior, asking $3200. We'll see what's what by the end of the week. Thanks.

If there's no paperwork, crawl underneath and look for signs of the transmission being removed. Also a new clutch will have a relatively low engagement point. One that's on its last legs will be up high. Another thing to do while driving is cruise through 2nd gear then dump it in 4th and hammer down. That load will usually make a bad clutch slip.

Bought mine at 154k, throw out bearing was bad when i bought it. but shifted fine. Clutch just started slipping a little this winter when it got under 0. now i have 205k on it. Probably original equipment because oddly enough most things that i finally got around to messing with was original. But finally got me a second driver " i need to fix" and then i can address some of the longer jobs on the Pathy. FIRST on the list is...The clutch, PP, and throwout bearing.

Pat