1999 R50 project

gwillis6

Hi all! Have been lurking for some time now and am anxiously awaiting the parts to be delivered for this project. I was able to purchase an excellent condition 1998 R50 with 200,000 miles on it. If you didn't look at the odometer you would swear it was new. One owner, no rust and probably never put in 4wd. From the knowledge I have gained from y'all, I have purchased the following:

1) 2" AC lift with GR-2 struts and Bilstein shocks.

2) Summit 85 Black 8 series 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

3) BF Goodrich 32x11.50 MT tires.

4) Camber adjustment bolts.

Do Ya'll think everything will fit/work?

Anyone have pics of a similar set-up?

Thanks again for the knowledge on this board!

Welcome Bud, and congrats on your new Pathy! I'm pretty sure you will like it.

That set up should work, but you might get a little rubbing at full wheel lock. Hard to tell from here... ;)

There is a thread in the R50 section (or the FAQ section within) that is an attempt to compile the amount of lift VS tire size as a guide like. You should be able to find the answer there, or go into the Members Rides section towards the bottom of the main page and find someone who has the same basic set up...

B

Welcome, that sounds like a nice foundation you got there. Good choice in tire size too, that's what I wish I had went with too in hindsight. I only went 31x10.5. I was planning on getting 33x12.5 next. But depending on how yours turns out, that might be the perfect compromise! Looking forward to some pics. We like those here. :)

• Like 1

It will work just fine as long as you keep in mind that it will completely change the ride and handling with the AC springs and mud tires .

You will almost definitely have some rubbing to take care of , probably before full lock in reverse .

You should check the upper and lower control arms , if the bushings look worn or cracked change them to the split poly's .

If they haven't been replaced at 200,000 you'll be feeling the death wobble soon , it's not a good feeling...

This is a '96 with AC coils , Bilsteins , GR's , and 32 - 11.5 Cooper STT's .

Difference being I used 1" AC spacers up front , without them you'll have the rear higher than the front but some like it that way .

resize_image_1757971694.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Y'all for the info. Beatup96, that is a sweet Pathy and exactly what I was looking for. I'll post pics as I get it built. Here are a couple now if I can get the pics to upload.......

pathy01_zpsfc3592fb.jpg

pathy03_zps06045a8e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got everything installed with not much trouble. It took two full days to accomplish. I needed two pairs of coil spring compressors as the springs that came with the kit were a noticeably longer and much thicker steel. I had to trim some plastic inside the wheel well and bend slightly the bottom portion of the fender inside the wheel well but it is not noticeable. Bent it with a 2x4 by prying slightly against the tire. I also painted the faded bumpers, fender flares, roof rack and tire carrier with Plasti-Dip which came out awesome. Masked off the body panels surrounding the bumpers and flares, wiped down with acetone and sprayed four coats of Plasti-Dip. The roof rack, I removed to paint because it comes off so easy. I was surprised how easy it was and everything I painted looks factory new. Don't know how it will hold up to bushes and such but time will tell. The lockers were a breeze to install and well worth the expense. Even with the bigger tires I am getting about 2 miles more per gallon with the front drive-train unlocked. Details so far:

2" AC lift with GR-2 struts and Bilstein shocks.

New upper and lower control arms (for death wobble).

Camber adjustment bolts.

Warn locking hubs.

Summit 85 Black 8 series 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

BF Goodrich 32x11.50 MT tires.

4 rattle cans of Plasti-Dip

hoop2_zpsnjs7aq02.jpg

hoop3_zpsiqbqy88p.jpghoop4_zpsabsy1yqn.jpg

hoop6_zpslcutx6tk.jpg

hoop7_zpssr5elra7.jpg

Before:

16790-2_zpsea7e7aae.jpg

After:

hoop1_zpsxksjnxbe.jpg

That came out looking awesome. Good idea with the plasti-dip on the roof rack. Hadn't thought of that. How do you like the stiffness of the AC coils? I'm torn between AC and OME

I do not find them bad at all. Rides more like a truck should IMO. I had a 02 Jeep Rubicon and put a three inch lift on it and the ride was horrible compared to this lift. I would say my Pathfinder rides close to stock but when I got it all of the control arms were worn and it had bad death wobble so I am not really comparing apples to apples but it does ride good. The AC lift is closer to three inches than two but it may settle a bit. It is a beast off-road now for sure.

Edited by gwillis6

Thanks. It's a daily driver so I didn't want to go too crazy with it and at my age........well you know I'm not over the hill but I'm at the top.