Killing my battery

spiceman

So I replaced the battery that kept dying, and 2 days later the new battery is dead.

I'm thinking parasitic draw, but the voltmeter shows just .03ma from disconnected neg cable to neg battery post.

So now I'm thinking bad diodes in the alternator.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's an 03 LE w/ ~162k miles.

I'll be testing the alternator diodes tomorrow, but wondered if there is any accumulated wisdom on this issue.

Thanks!

One possibility is that whatever drains it only does so once activated by a start-cycle. Then, when you disconnect the battery cable to take your reading, it's reset until you use it again.

That being the case, I'm not sure how you would isolate it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with my 2000. Battery keeps dying after sitting. My son broke the power antenna off-roading. I'm thinking maybe it's that? Where is the fuse or power wire without pulling the inner fender off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antenna is on a circuit with other accessories (i don't recall which, radio possibly?), when I found that mine was killing my battery I just pulled the inner plastic liner and clipped the power wire.

Where I live there is a parts store that does free alt/bat. tests out of the goodness in their hearts...or maybe if one is bad they can make a sale. Either way it's FREE.

No real need to "test" the alternator. Simply unplug it and watch your volt meter. If the draw stops then there's tour issue.

Are you doing the voltage drop test on the ground with the engine running and off?