Question regarding MT fluid change

kev9180

Dumb question but I'm a newbie so bear with me! Went to change my transmission fluid so I could overfill it but couldn't figure out how to get my carpet up to be able to fill it through the gear shift. Any advice or a guide anywhere?

Then I tried to fill it by jacking up the passenger side but realized I won't be able to just pour the stuff in there due to the tight space. I'm going to need a fluid pump if I do it that way, right? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help guys. Much appreciated.

When I replaced mine, I made a few small cuts with a razor blade in each corner of the boot hole, with the grain. When I put it back together, you couldn't really tell it had been cut...

As for the fluid pump, yes, that will help immensely to top it off if you are working from underneath. You can buy a universal hand squeeze type at Harbor Freight for a few $.

I recall someone tipping their truck and getting the recommended amount in (if not close), so that will work, but be careful...

B

Oh, to get the plastic screws out (they thread into a split plastic sleeve, almost like a drywall anchor), hold a small screw driver by the shaft and just turn it without putting any downward force while simultaneously lifting up on the plastic sill to provide tension. You'll have them out in 10 seconds each that way. ;)

Edited by Precise1

I'm really surprised that Nissan... Or anyone else for that matter couldn't make a fill tube extension. They know there was an issue, why not fix it? Oh wait don't get my started on Nissan doing the right thing (Frontier Timing Tensioner issues), not to mention the poor guy that owns this site: http://nissan.com/

Anyway... My transmission whines, am I doomed or should I just overfill it and keep on driving.

B, what were the cuts for? Easy access for future changes?

Daczone, the consensus seems to be that if it's whining, it's already screwed, and will eventually (keyword) need the rebuild, etc. I've got the whine as well but until I can save up more money I'm going to overfill and hope it extends my transmission life as it has with some others.

Looks like I might be in the same predicament as some of you. My tranny whines in 5th gear, so along with all of the other issues I'm having with it now, it looks like it will be coming off the road for awhile so I can buy everything it needs.

The cuts would be in the carpet so you can access the screws that hold the boot retainer to the floor pan. That way you don't have to pull the seats/carpet to access the top of the transmission.

The cuts would be in the carpet so you can access the screws that hold the boot retainer to the floor pan. That way you don't have to pull the seats/carpet to access the top of the transmission.

^Exactly, and so you can remove the boot & retainer without bending the crap out of it as well. It is the lazy method... :D

B

Yes, by the same cutting method like I did. You just have to make some small incisions in each corner, 1" max IIRC, and if you need to, cut more towards the dash than towards the seats. Follow the grain of the carpet and make clean, straight cuts with a sharp utensil. Start small and see what you need, but when you lay it back down and ruffle/smooth it, you won't be able to see there was a cut... ;)

B

Before i start making cuts, where are the bolts i will need access too and where exactly should i cut? Are those little plastic pieces near the side of the boot what I'm looking to get out?

5zzYxR9.jpg

Lift up the bottom fold of the boot, hook your finger under the carpet and pull it back. You should be able to see a metal bracket with screws holding the boot in place. Those screws and bracket need to come out to access the shifter hole...

I don't recall the exact cuts I made, but I know it was with the 'grain' of the carpet (you can see it by looking at the under side). I want to say the cuts were towards and away from the dash... :shrug:

B

Okay I got it all changed. Hardest part was definitely getting the carpet cuts to get the bolts free. Had to make more cuts than I wanted but can't really tell when it's all tucked back in!

PS... Don't forget the zip ties! Lol

I'm glad you got it out, and yes, it takes a liittle figuring, but, as you said, "can't really tell when it's all tucked back in!". :aok:

Thanks, I found a site that's got a great walk thru on that part. http://beergarage.com/PathTransmission1Remove.aspx

It's like mid way down the page!

Good that you found that helpful!

His first like made me cringe though...

I WD-40'd the exhaust bolts. It's a penetrant like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

Umm, no it isn't. Not even close... :doh:

B

So if my transmission whines (285k on it)... Am I good to add 1 quart of GL-5 oil on it to bring it past the FILL point?

I'd really hate to waste $100 on GL-4 oil in an old transmission that may need to be replaced in the near future.

If you're transmission is whining, then the consensus seems to be that you're are best off just parking your truck and doing all the necessary work now, as it's going to go sooner or later. Check out the manual transmission TSB for more info, the very first main post has all the info.

Other than that, iirc the thread also said go ahead and overfill it. That's my reasoning at least, I don't have the money or resources for the full transmission fix at the moment, so I drained it and refilled it with the proper amount in hopes of getting some more life out of it!

So if my transmission whines (285k on it)... Am I good to add 1 quart of GL-5 oil on it to bring it past the FILL point?

I'd really hate to waste $100 on GL-4 oil in an old transmission that may need to be replaced in the near future.

Putting in GL-5 would be worse than doing nothing at all. The manual tranny is GL-4 ONLY.

Where in the world do you come up with $100 for the oil? :scratchhead:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpo-023-7729

B

B, I think Daczone may be talking about doing a complete drain and replacing all ~5L with redline mt-90 the expensive stuff. In my case I bought the gallon jug and 2 quart bottles and it came out to just over $100. But even so like you said, he could get some cheaper stuff that would probably still be better than nothing!

Ahh, good point.

Yes, 'overfilling' the factory spec oil would probably be a big improvement regardless, assuming that it hasn't been changed recently.

The MT-90 is a step above factory specs, but it certainly is more expensive as well.

B

Yeah I have looked everywhere and the only GL-4 is Redline in my area. I even looked online and couldn't find anything under $15 a quart.

I was talking about just adding 1 quart to push the level up.

Well, if you don't know how old/what condition the existing oil is, that might be part of the problem and just adding another quart might not help much.

You did see the link I posted, right? Summit also has flat rate shipping:

Order Total Handling Fee

$0.00-$24.99 $4.95

$25.00-$98.99 $9.95

$99.00 and up FREE (limited time promotion)

You should be able to get 5 quarts to your door for $50. :shrug:

B