diesel tachometer wiring

joshua01niner

Hey guys. I just recently bought a Nissan 1991 pathfinder/pickup BD25 diesel. All the gauges in the cluster work aside from the tach, do you have any ideas where the tach signal is connected to? Is it connected to the alternator or somewhere else? The tach is connected by a 4 pin socket, I've already tested it with a test light and it seemed like there is power with one wire, i guess its from the ignition key but the other two are not sending any signal. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

I don't have the manual for the diesel, so I'm not entirely sure what it hooks to. I know on the gas rigs that a nonworking tach can sometimes be fixed by tightening the brass screws holding the gauge into the cluster (that's how ground is supplied apparently). I've never been into a diesel cluster, or a gas cluster for that matter, so that's about all I can say.

I've got the diesel supplement for the FSM floating around here somewhere, PM me your email and I'll send you a copy

Thanks Craig1902! PM you already

On the diesels I usually work on its plugged into the back of the alternator

Where exactly is this plug? In my alternator I could see only three connections that are in it. One for the ground, the batt and the other with plugs in it. , i'll try to post some pics later.