Lock mechanisms freezing

ebayfish

Here in Tennessee, we don't get a a lot of snow nor do we know how to deal with cold related issues. On a couple of occasions last year, during sleet/snowstorms the locks froze on my pathfinder; not the cylinder but the mechanism in the door or striker. Once inside I could pry up the locks manually with a little force. I just had to open the rear glass hatch & crawl over the seats. Also, the lock on the gas cap (cabled to below the driver sear) froze & I had to repeatedly pour hot water over it at a filling station to open. Are there any cold weather tricks, to help this from happening? I.e. white lithium grease, wd40, or whatever to help resist freezing?

Fluid film, its lanolin based and will last a lot longer than wd40. Spray in and a round moving components inside your door. We use it as a rust preventative in MN.. Put some on your battery leads to prevent them from corroding as well.

If you need an immediate de-thaw you can use rubbing alcohol and a syringe or small spray bottle to loosen anything directly frozen then coat it in fluid film to prevent it from happening again.

Also wipe down your weather seals lest your doors freeze closed.. :)

that's how I broke my door handle off. Damned door was frozen shut and I was trying to pull it open. Good news though, they are easily replaced and only cost a few dollars from rockauto

Graphite lock lubricant is the best thing for locks. It may be available in both liquid and powdered form where you live but you'll have to hit the local auto shop, I prefer the liquid since it tends to work the graphite into the mechanics of the beast and doesn't wash out when dry. I use the powdered stuff in the house on door hinges and the toolbox locks. Stay away from WD-40, it's made to remove water from electronics, that's all it does well.

Yeah, concur about graphite inside the lock mechanism/tumblers.. Don't put anything liquid in there, generally, unless you know it's evaporating away or can be flushed clean. WD40 is basically just a dirt magnet. Fluid film is not immune to this problem, but it does a hell of a lot better job at staying put, preventing rust, etc.

FWIW Fluid film is used by all the farmers around here in large quantities for farm equipment, or really anything that needs to stand up to the elements.

For the gas door I soaked it in fluid film 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The door locks I would use something else. Like the graphite stuff. Or maybe that new wd40 silicone spray.