new exhaust for 01 vq35de

AkPrecision

Hi everyone. I took a break from working on my pathy for a while but now im back. I need to know what you guys are using for a cat back exhaists to improve mileage. Not sure if it matters but i live in ca so smog is very strict here. I know this thing has 4 cats a resonator and a muffler. Should i straight pipe it all the way to the rear from the cats and delete resonator and muffler? Or what kind of exhaust are you using? I was under there today changing the fuel filter and the exhaust looks extremely restrictive. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

mike

I recently did lots of exhaust work on my '01 SE. I have 2 new catco universal cats downstream. And two new catco cats that are up by the headers. And a new Flowmaster muffler equipped w new tail pipes. All recently replaced due to upcoming registration and CA smog check. Little did I know when I took it in they neglected to probe the exhaust and even run the truck on the dyno. So I asked the technician why no probe and detailed readout with emissions levels and whatever. He told me 2000 and newer only require ECU check with OBD II reader and visual inspection. Nice!!! Time to get creative with new exhaust next time.

Just an FYI, we dont have 4 cats, the second canisters downstream are resonators, hence why they are only $100 each

I went with the walker replacement exhaust, including both front resonators, rear resonator, and rear muffler, it was about $400

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my part of Ontario we have an "Emissions Test" every two years on our birthday. If you don't pass, you're not allowed to renew your licence plates. We do get two chances though...second time is half price. If your CEL light is on...you won't pass. Any mods. to the exhaust will not pass. My '98 and my '03 are simaller...manifold then cat. (each side) then muffler with dual inlet and single oulet with a resonator at the rear. I replaced cat back on the '98 last year for about $800. I needed one cat at about the same price. I ended up just buying a newer truck.

I believe if you're looking to up the ante with your cats that Magnaflow makes some high-flow CA units. Otherwise what worked for me was an 18" magnaflow replacing the factory muffler, and resonator delete. Considering I like to hear my passengers, music and other things, but appreciate a little rumble, it's the perfect balance. I'm in CA as well, and it's 100% smog legal. I'm not sure on the mpg gain, but maybe a half to one at best? I'm not sure, I mainly did it for nicer sound and a little better clearance.

Here's a video. (Pre several mods I've done, but mechanically the same)

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 3

Awesome its good to hear a reply from another ca pathy owner and that you did delete the resonator. I have seen your video a few times. Do you think that if I replace the rear two cats with the magnaflow ones will it still pass smog with the magnaflow muffler also?

Awesome its good to hear a reply from another ca pathy owner and that you did delete the resonator. I have seen your video a few times. Do you think that if I replace the rear two cats with the magnaflow ones will it still pass smog with the magnaflow muffler also?

Yes I would think it should pass, so long as you use their CA specific cats. I believe people use them quite a bit, and have no issue passing. I'd ask a reputable performance exhaust shop for more information, or contact magnaflow directly.