xterra questions

ahardb0dy

My neighbor has his 2001 xterra 4x4 ( think it's a 2001 anyway), he asked me the other day about a noise he hears when driving, a metal ticking noise, I asked if it gets faster as he drives and he said it does but it goes away when he brakes, I told him to check for a bolt or other debris in the tire,

He also asked about how much play there is supposed to be side to side in the front CV axles? I know there is a "C" clip that holds the axle in when you remove the hub, the truck has Mile Marker manual hubs on it, is there supposed to be any play in the axle side to side when the hubs are unlocked? If the clip is gone I guess there could be some play but the axle can only move so much right?

He also said one side of the front brake pads were worn down to nothing but the other side was good, I told him the caliper could be frozen on the good pad side and because it is froze ( slide pins) that the pad would not wear as the other caliper is doing all the work, he said it does pull to that side also, am I correct in what I told him?

Thanks

there should be some movement in the CV joint itself thats ok. if the shaft is sliding in the hub thats a different issue. and I agree with your thoughts on the break issue seems logical to me.

the metal ticking noise could be the wear indicator on the break pad?

Sounds like he needs pads and calipers IF the slides can't be fixed by being cleaned and lubed. A lot of times it's just neglecting to lube the slides during every brake job that causes them to stick. He'll know if he needs a caliper when he tries to retract the piston.

I'm sure he knows he better get it fixed now before he hits metal on metal.

He should also turn the rotors if they can be. That's a lot of heat coming from a stuck caliper.

Edited by Kingman

Sounds like he needs pads and calipers IF the slides can't be fixed by being cleaned and lubed. A lot of times it's just neglecting to lube the slides during every brake job that causes them to stick. He'll know if he needs a caliper when he tries to retract the piston.

I'm sure he knows he better get it fixed now before he hits metal on metal.

He should also turn the rotors if they can be. That's a lot of heat coming from a stuck caliper.

X2 on this one