Replacement radiator fan?

hawairish

While crawling underneath the truck yesterday, I noticed my radiator fan has a buttload of cracks along the housing, but still appears to be relatively intact. I'd obviously prefer that it not grenade under the hood, ever.

A replacement fan (p/n 21060-6P000) runs about $100 from my normal online Nissan parts stores. But for that amount, I might as well go electric. Fans for the 3.0L/3.3L engines run significantly less, like $30. I have the 3.5L. Anybody know if it fits? It's a square 4-bolt pattern, so if anyone can take a peek and grab a bolt-to-bolt length (or if you just so happen to have a fan or clutch sitting around), that'd be appreciated. There might be enough space to get a measurement without removing anything.

There are also some cheap-o electric fan options on eBay. Any experience with either these or brand name products?

• Like 1

If the part numbers are different. Then they are almost always different parts. Just buy the new one when the current one breaks.

And e-fan conversion that will actually work reliability is a few hundred bucks. For the controller, getting a bung welded (don't have to do that) and then the fan itself (Taraus fans are the way to go) so yeah, long story short. Just buy the one intended for your car.

-Kyle

I'm sure the parts are different, but I doubt it excludes the possibility of it not fitting. There is a design difference on the OEM blades (excluding aftermarket fans), but I doubt it's worth a mind-blowing $60 extra bucks if all difference is some slanted blades.

Anyway, the next time someone's tooling around the engine, please give it a look. You can actually get an approximate measurement from underneath the truck. Just look up at the back of the fan clutch for four round flat spots on the perimeter...it's the backside of where the screws install (the hole isn't exposed). I measure about 4.25" between the flat spot centers.

Ha, you can actually get this measurement just by peeking over the radiator fan, and the fan screw holes do go through the clutch.

Can anyone with a VG please take a look and see if they can measure between the screw holes (center-center)? Looks closer to 106mm, 4-3/6"-ish.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just installed a VG33 into my 93 and used the VG33 fan (slightly different). I hate the fan noise from the motor... and am thinking of going electric. Question is where can I run the thermo switch to?

Anyone done this? What size fan did you use, I'm thinking a 3500 CFM 16" but that might be overkill.

I've got plans of going the Taraus fan swap, and putting the sending unit right next to the factory sending units on the top water neck.

I think a few have done on the R50, alot more on the WD's, the thing about doing this on an R50, especially when running a Taraus fan, is you have to upgrade the tiny output alternator that comes stock on the R50, VG motor. If I I remember correctly it's like 60 amps, something like the 80 amp maxima, or 120 (I think) amp quest alternator are suitable choices.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Just don't forget those amps come at a cost... More drag on your motor... Back when I did Stereo comp stuff I put a 120 amp alternation to replace my stock one and you could honestly feel to power zapped from my 4 cylinder. When I broke the alternator case I put the stock one back in and the power was back. Quite noticeable.

Well, on a tiny displacement 4 cylinder, yes, but on our V6's, I doubt it. You don't feel anything with the AC.

However I do agree. More power means more work and strain on the engine. At best you'll loose some mileage, not much I'd imagine.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose to pull 2500 CFM.

Testimonies said it works with V8 engines, so I think it will be fine. The reason I swapped it is I'm shooting for 20 MPG plus hated the fan noise with the mechanical fan.