Running Wires Through A-Pillar

CO_pathfinder

Started pulling the headliner and A-pillar trim in prep for my Xterra roof rack install. Thinking about also running some wiring for lights on the rack windscreen through the pillar trim, in addition to running wires for the fuzz buster from the fuse box to above the mirror. So far , PITA.

Also considering running my CB coax for a roof antenna through this path, as well as re-routing the coax for my 9ft whip through the headliner so that I can mount CB overhead....

Anybody have any hints as to how I can run wires from the fuse box area up to AND through the a-pillar/ a-pillar trim and have it look nice? Wires need to go all the way up to headliner.. Maybe somebody who has done the vanity mirror and map light swap? Tungsten?

Please do not encourage him...

I will take another look at it and see if there is anything "special" that you need to know, as I not only installed map lights but I also ran a security cable through the pillars, both long ago.

But I am pretty sure it was fairly straight forward.

Started pulling the headliner and A-pillar trim in prep for my Xterra roof rack install. Thinking about also running some wiring for lights on the rack windscreen through the pillar trim, in addition to running wires for the fuzz buster from the fuse box to above the mirror. So far , PITA.

Also considering running my CB coax for a roof antenna through this path, as well as re-routing the coax for my 9ft whip through the headliner so that I can mount CB overhead....

Is that your quote, that you quoted from another thread?

If so, have you considered running some of it up between the doors? I have a 2dr so I cannot say for sure, but would guess that you should be able too. Perhaps one of the 4dr guys, who has had those panels off can chime in about it.

Haha yea, I quoted myself from another thread because I realized that I posted in the wrong thread. Do wish for that delete feature sometimes....

I have considered running it up between doors, but then I would have wires sneaking around outside of the body. I was hoping to run the wiring for the roof CB and lights through a hole hidden by one of the rubber feet of the Xterra rack, so that I could make things as clean and aero-friendly as possible (joke on that last part)

Wish I could like your post more than once.....

There is some room in them and what I did was route the wires up forward of the panel retaining clips. If you end up routing several groups of wires and or larger cables, such as a coax, then I would suggest that you split them between each pillar.

Depending on what you do I would also bring back up my prior suggestion of routing up the sides, between the doors and/or up through the back trim by the rear hatch. Removing floor the floor trim/carpet/seats to run wires is really not that hard or time consuming.

It's really not that difficult on the WDs. I had to run power for my Homelink, power and signal for my Compass/Temp mirror, and the hands free mic for my stereo (so I've done this three times in the last year :blink: ).

Take the trim off from above the door and the A-pillar. Then take off the visor and sun visor clip so that you can easily get behind the headliner.

I have a sunroof, so I gently pull the headliner out of the sunroof trim and pulled it down to give me access. From there, I could easily fish the wires from the pillar to under the headliner. (If you don't have a sunroof, then this gets to be more difficult.)

On mine, there was already a small bundle of wires running up the LH pillar (probably for the dome light), so I just zipped tied my cables to those so that there wouldn't be any rattle.

Ooooohhhh you meant the trim between the front and rear door. I read your post as between the door and fender haha. I'm actually sitting in my car now. So when you routed up the a-pillar, did you remove the dash and dash hood, just the dash, or no dash removal and just the pillar trim?

Okay, so I've got a 2-door - so no rear door doors. But also no need to remove the trim behind the front seat. No dash removal was needed, either.

Remove the A pillar trim and the trim above the front door. This will give you easy access above the headliner.

IMG_0853.jpg

Once you have the A-Pillar trim off, you'll see a small gap with enough room to fish a few wires.

IMG_0856.jpg

• Like 1