Please help me with this MAF issue

02Junker

My girlfriends 02 Pathfinder has been acting horrible for a while. I initially change out the plugs and gave it a basic tune up. Still did nothing to help it out. I went to Advanced Auto and had them put the computer on it. The computer said the problem was the MAF. I unplugged the MAF sensor and the vehicle drove perfectly in fail safe mode, except it wouldn't go over 2800 rpms. I have now tried three different MAFS, including the one people used for the Maxima (Which is discussed in a sticky on this very forum). It still does not work. It cranks up, idles for a second, then shuts off. I am beyond losing my mind with this vehicle and have no clue what to do at the point. Could someone please help me out?

I don't know if you've read through the diagnostics tables in the (download-able) FSM but I would start there. If it cranks and dies I would think that there is a large vacuum leak, maybe a split boot between the intake and the airbox, plugged air filter? Just throwing that out there since I'm not a pro mechanic.

What was/is the exact OBD2 error code? It would probably be worth it to buy a cheepo reader, all you need is to be able to read the codes and clear them.

It might not be a MAF problem, but an issue with the connector or wiring harness. Do you have a multimeter and any mechanical/electrical experience?

B

I don't have a multimeter. The two codes that they read at Advanced Auto are P1130 and P0102. I went to the Nissan Dealership today and they would not give me any useful info other than "bring your vehicle to us". This thing seriously cranks, idles for two seconds around the 1000 tmp range, then drops down to about 500 rpms on the idle, then it sputters and dies. Runs less than 4 seconds on average. Everytime I unplug the MAF it idles like a champ.

And my mechanical / electrical experience is bare minimum. I do all the work to my Jeep Wrangler and keep her running smoothly. This Pathfinder however seems to be my nemesis when it comes to mechanical work. Electrical experience is next to none.

Have you downloaded the fsm? That will help immensely. It should have a step by step process for trouble shooting those codes. On phone so cant link but ita a sticky in the garage section. As far as the electrical, it will probably ask for volt and ohm checks on some wires. Pretty easy to do.

Sent from my Moto X

Exactly as above! You can download the Factory Service Manual from the pinned thread in the Garage section, this will be your new bible. Harbor Freight has some really cheap MMs that will do the job (for how long I don't know), and I collect them as disposables. If you can't get one easily, PM me your addy and I'll sent you one (I get them free with coupons).

Not to rip on the Dealerships, but they make their $ by working on your car, not helping you work on it so don't expect much unless you have a relationship...

I don't have a multimeter. The two codes that they read at Advanced Auto are P1130 and P0102. I went to the Nissan Dealership today and they would not give me any useful info other than "bring your vehicle to us". This thing seriously cranks, idles for two seconds around the 1000 tmp range, then drops down to about 500 rpms on the idle, then it sputters and dies. Runs less than 4 seconds on average. Everytime I unplug the MAF it idles like a champ.

Ok... From the 2002 manual...

P0102: MAF sensor circuit... Some straight forward diagnostics that will need a MM, might be the harness/connector as I suspected.

P1130: Swirl control SOL/V... A lot of diagnostics, everything from checking hoses to MM testing.

I highly recommend you download the FSM, read up, get a multimeter and tackle the MAF first. It is the most straight forward, will allow you to gain some experience/understanding/confidence and might address the P1130 (guess). Once the MAF situation is cleared, see if the swirl control error re-occurrs. If so, search here as I know it has been discussed, but sorry, I don't have a VQ35 engine and haven't worked on them. All my limited knowledge is 2nd hand and read...

B