ECU relocation

SkiBumBrian

I am getting ready to get the ECU off the floor and relocate it behind the glove box. Anyone that has done this have any tips or tricks they learned while doing it?

My search turned up no info on this mod. If there is no posts or information on it maybe I will take pics of the procedure.

Although I have not done it myself, I remember discussions about it and if you unwrap the wiring harness there enough slack that you can reroute the harness up so the ECU can be mounted in the glove box. I also remember someone talking about a mod where they screwed it to the heater core box, cut a section of the metal plate (behind the glove box) and then reshaped the glove box (cut and glue, heat and bend :shrug: ) enough that it would open and close normally.

There has been discussion of building a wiring harness extension to move it there... but to me, if you going to go that rough, then why not go all the way and mount it above the headliner :aok:

There is info here, I will look around later, but as for pics, I am not sure. A lot of people put pics on non- permanent hosting and/or delete them when they sell their trucks :thumbsdown:

Awesome! Thanks for the input.... I think when my headlight wiring harness/relay gets here this week I will tackle both of these tasks at once. It will be a sense of relief not having to worry about a drowned ECU. I will try to remember to document the process, is there a way to embed pics so they are permanent?

We disabled most direct pic uploading to save hosting space partly because of the number of pics that simply don't need to be hosted locally and partially due to the size of them of them. Unfortunately, a lot of the older pics (pre-current Mod Team) and long gone, for the reasons mentioned prior :thumsdown:

But if you ev4r feel that a pic is important enough to host locally, just PM a Member of the Mod Team and if we agree we can save it to the NPORA server and edit the post to reflect the new location... just don't be upset if we don't agree on every pic ;)

Oh and people have even done the Tupperware/Rubbermain ECU mod as well, I believe GrimGreg did it you might as him.. IIRC you use a container of the appropriate size, cut holes for the harness and ground wire to exit then seal it all up with the lid and silicon.

I was wondering about a waterproof box but wasn't sure about any heat build up etc. from ECU. I guess if GrimGreg did it with no issues it must be a viable solution! I will search his posts and see if I can find some info from him.

Thanks for finding that. I like the Tupperware idea except for maybe the access issue when running codes. I think I will go that route but not silicone the top on like Greg did. I will take some pics while I do it. Thanks again for the help, you surely helped me make up my mind on what method to use. Thanks to GrimGreg too for an ingenious idea....

The running codes is not much of an issue depending on the year. Over in IN another guy and I were working on the consult port pinout. I think he figured out the early 90s rigs. You can run LEDs and a button off the consult port and locate it remotely.

Edited by deerhurst

Although I understand the idea of siliconing the lid for piece of mind, if you use a god quality container (like Tupperware) then I doubt it would be needed. Just silicone the harness entry and work it into between/around the wires like GrimGreg did and it should be fine while still allowing east removal of the lid for diagnostics.

But how often do you have to run codes? For me it would be so little that cleaning off the old and applying new silicone to the lid seal would be a non-issue :shrug:

I hear ya, my thoughts exactly. A good container should be watertight, right? I have never had to run codes on my truck but I GUARANTEE if I glued the top on I would have to run them the next day.... Does anybody use the OBD1 port under the dash? That is what that port is right?

Wd21 pathfinders do not have a consult port. The consult port is a 14 pin connector with digital (tx/rx) communication network ports.

The pathfinder only has the check connector which is an analog voltage diagnostic port but is NOT a consult port and is not only wired differently but carries different signals. You can wire up led in parallel to the factory diagnostic led and run the new led to an easily visible spot in the cabin.

just wanted to clear that up for anyone working on this. The pathfinder ecu doesn't even contain the TX and rx ports to wire in a consult. They were omitted from the ecu design.

The 10 or 12 pin diagnostic check connector may be able to be tapped into for those led signals, not sure about that, but just wanted to clear up that wd21 don't have the true consult port. The only vg30e ecu that has consult (tx/rx) support is the Infiniti m30 ecu.

Wd21 pathfinders do not have a consult port. The consult port is a 14 pin connector with digital (tx/rx) communication network ports.

The pathfinder only has the check connector which is an analog voltage diagnostic port but is NOT a consult port and is not only wired differently but carries different signals. You can wire up led in parallel to the factory diagnostic led and run the new led to an easily visible spot in the cabin.

just wanted to clear that up for anyone working on this. The pathfinder ecu doesn't even contain the TX and rx ports to wire in a consult. They were omitted from the ecu design.

The D21s had different diagnostic plugs though the years. As far as I know the early (86 and maybe 87) have a 14 or so pin. my 86.5 has a 16 pin but I only have 11 pins used. I would have to look at my notes. The later rigs had something like a 10 or 12 pin. The wiring is different. Do you have a schematic of the older 14 pin?

Ill have to ask over on IN to see if the newer pinout has been finished. I am pretty sure the older has not.

Edited by deerhurst

Does anyone have the fsm for the early tbi model pathy? Could they scan the foldout page with master wiring diagrams as well as the EL section and I could tell you whether there's true consult or not.

Scan a combined 111 pages one at a time? If you can that down, I may be able to help out with some actual scans.

2014-09-03 20.43.02.jpg

Oh sorry! My bad, I meant just the eccs line diagram that's usually shortly after the title page in the EF EC section. It has all of the main electrical connections but is a simplified version. It's usually on page 6 or 8 on the other fsm I've read. So just that page from EF EC, page 2 with the harness connector from EL, and then the 3 or so pages from the foldout master diagram and I could probably come up with a pinout and tell you whether there is consult or not

Edited by Nefarious

Let me know if these are ECCS Diagrams you were looking for. Note that I only did the VG30i pages and not the z24i versions, as that is the majority of early Pathfinders. I can add them later if they are needed.

There are two versions of the foldout diagram. A low res that keeps the file size at or below 1MB which is where I try and keep them all. It is readable, but in case you want a clearer copy I attached another one but it is over 13MB.

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-EF_EC-018

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-EF_EC-020

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-EF_EC-021

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-Circuit-Diagram-Foldout_Lo-Res

1989-Nissan-WD21-FSM-Circuit-Diagram-Foldout_Hi-Res

Well thus far I can confirm that the tbi pathy also does NOT have a consult port. It also had the 12 pin check connector. There are a couple of conductors that run from the ecu to this connector but I'll have to dig a little deeper as to what each signal is. There is a possibility that they run high in parallel to the diagnostic leds. I'll take a closer look in a bit when I get some more time

Thanks man. I will download those and start reading them when I get off work.

This is the one is my 86.5 V6 D21:

I believe I have the ECU lights mapped. I would have to put an LED into it and run codes to make sure. My pinout diagram is in the shop.

DSC_00202_zpse0a79dbc.jpg

DSC_00213_zpsa5487cf2.jpg

I also have this little guy. Not sure what it is for.

DSC_0019_zps77c5ee71.jpg