Ignition switch vs relay

Piscator

'95 XE 4WD.. 182K

On occasion I turn the key and I get a click, the usual dash lights come on but not starter turning over. Flipping the key over and trying a couple times always starts it, tho it is disconcerting. I once replaced the starter over this to no real effect (the starter has other issues too) So...,

Should I be scoring a new ignition switch, and can it be keyed to my original key so I don't have to carry two? How bad a PITA is the replacement for that part DIY wise?

or

Is there a relay I san swap out quicker easier cheaper? and where the hell is is because my FSM says there is one but not where it is.

Thanks

There's a park switch in the auto shifter console that may be sticking, that switch drives the inhibitor relay which only let's the vehicle start in park. Then you also have the starter relay that allows current to the starter solenoid. You can try banging on the starter if it's not working . That indicates it's probably full of crud and needs cleaning or replacement

I think the Starter itself is OK, but I'll have a look at the Park switch since I can do that in my driveway for free :) Ordered a starter relay at my local Nissan dealer (yes, I could have got one someplace else but the oroginal part has worked until now so its good quality). According to FAST my Pathfinder does not have an inhibitor relay but does have a starter relay, weird since I thought they were the same thing.

Then I'll be wanting to hunt up a remote oilfilter, the Pacesetter headers make it difficult to remove the old oil filter by the width of the roll seam (sheesh)

I am also having same issues but i have manual Trans. I ordered a starter relay as well (from Nissan) and will be pulling starter out to clean and inspect, hopefully get tested.

Pretty stupid place the Nissan Engineers put oil filter......my starter and solenoid are covered with oil.

Anyways, good luck! Let me know how you make out>

Do you have another key you can try? Does one side of the key look more worn than the other?

Most of the time the key will wear and not the wafers in the lock.

I just re-keyed my ignition to match a pair of door locks I swapped into my 93 hardbody, I also re-keyed all the locks on my former 94 pathfinder.

Yes a new ignition switch can be re-keyed, a locksmith can do it ( i can do it too, I rekeyed a lock for Adam when he sent me the key a while back)

If the truck doesn't start when you turn the key but just clicks, but when you flip the key over it starts, I don;t think that is an ignition issue at all, probably just the repeated attempts to start it and the starter finally catches.

If the key turns but it doesn't start than the ignition switch is doing what it is supposed to and the problem would be past the ignition switch.

If you already replaced the starter I would double check all the connections, battery terminals not just being tight but being clean and not corroded, also check the positive where it connects at the starter, the cable in my 94 pathfinder half the wire strands were not even in the copper terminal !

Next time it doesn;t start, try having someone hold the key to the start position and try tapping on the starter lightly, if it starts most likely it's the starter.