How do you properly undercoat your truck.

NIssanBoston

Basically exactly as what the title says , how would i go about undercoating my r50, wwhat are some of the precautions that i would need to take? I want to start undercoat my truck because of recently being on this forums i've learned from the majority of canadian memebers that they always undercoat there vehicle because of the snow and salt combo, which we get tons in the winter time. What specific parts should i spray and what specific parts should i avoid spraying? Appreciate all the help. Thank you!

Basically exactly as what the title says , how would i go about undercoating my r50, wwhat are some of the precautions that i would need to take? I want to start undercoat my truck because of recently being on this forums i've learned from the majority of canadian memebers that they always undercoat there vehicle because of the snow and salt combo, which we get tons in the winter time. What specific parts should i spray and what specific parts should i avoid spraying? Appreciate all the help. Thank you!

Being Canadian I would start with the rear wheel wells, rocker panels and around the front struts. If you find large bubbly rust, tap it and around it with a chipping hammer or such. Anything you can sand, grind or wire wheel off so much the better. Then spray with rust control then prime, rust paint and then undercoat. I mask off brake fittings, gas lines, exhaust parts, theaded ends of bolts, nuts, wiring and connectors etc. Theaded parts and such I normally just wire brush them and spray them with Tremclad rust paint to make them easier to remove later. Just remember this stuff is just temperary...you HAVE to keep redoing this if you live in the "salt zone".

Yeah i plan on doing this every 6 months basically every season of winter we go through . Yesterday i went under my truck and sanded some of the rust spots that were minimal under the body and sprayed the undercoat after i sanded it down so that there was not any visible rust left. Seeing that you said i should spray rust control and rust paint then spray some undercoat i am going to have to re-do where i just sprayed solely undercoat. Thanks for the help kdj

Being Canadian I would start with the rear wheel wells, rocker panels and around the front struts. If you find large bubbly rust, tap it and around it with a chipping hammer or such. Anything you can sand, grind or wire wheel off so much the better. Then spray with rust control then prime, rust paint and then undercoat. I mask off brake fittings, gas lines, exhaust parts, theaded ends of bolts, nuts, wiring and connectors etc. Theaded parts and such I normally just wire brush them and spray them with Tremclad rust paint to make them easier to remove later. Just remember this stuff is just temperary...you HAVE to keep redoing this if you live in the "salt zone".

Will me leaving on the undercoat that i put on only do any harm by the way? Or should i take it off and re-do it, i have not did the wheel wells yet, plan to do that with rust control prime and undercoat.

It should be fine. I just do the extra because I live on and do most of my driving on gravel roads, which are brutal on the under belly. If you pressure wash it now and then just check to see if it's peeling anywhere and redo it.

Edited by kdj