A/C Compressor oil leaking fron A/C Clutch 95 Pathfinder

CarhoarderJ

Hey Guys, decided to charge the A/C the other day for the first time in several years and everything was working fine and blowing cold until the next day I opened the hood to find compressor oil that slung itself all over the engine compartment.The A/C clutch just under the belt pulley was oily to the touch.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes sir...mine did the same exact thing. Went the whole nine yards and researched rebuilding the compressor, unfortunately the ONLY part that cannot be had is a ceramic seal which is the culprit. Mine came out in three pieces.

Ended up having to buy a reman...it works, but being a hands on fix it type of guy it hit my pride. Bummer that a common man cannot get that seal.

Unless something has changed it was unavailable a few years back...

I found oil around the same place on mine a while back, then it quit leaking. AC still works. :scratchhead:

Thanks for the info tmoore, too bad the part isn't available. I imagine a ceramic seal would be a PITA to install without shattering it, though.

Oddly enough you can buy the seal removal and installation tool but not the seal. I believe I bought mine for $8.99 USD.

Now there was a company who supplied to reman companies everything one would need to rebuild the compresssor, however it was bulk sales, and you had to provide a tax ID.

That sucks! :/

Oddly I found a thread about GM AC compressors which suggested that the ceramic seals they had were crap, and there was a new rubber version that the remanufacturers were using which didn't leak. I wonder if there's something like that for these, or maybe something from another unit that would fit.