Recommended Tire pressure?

So just got some new General Grabber A/t2s 255/70/R16 and was wondering what air pressure I should fill them to? I had been filling my old Michelins (255/65/R16) to 26psi as per the placard inside the Pathfinder. They seemed to wear pretty evenly at that pressure. What do you guys run yours at? They are slightly larger tire, would that affect the recommended air pressure?

Go with what is on the sticker, on the door jamb. Just because you increased the tires size, does not mean you changed the weight of the vehicle. I will also assume you did not change the Load rating(C,D,E) for your new tires, so again, any deviation from factory pressure is not needed. Overpressurizing your tires will just wear the center of the tread sooner and reduce the amount of tread patch contacting the road in corners. The pressure on the side of the tire is the max pressure for the tire. That should only be used when fully loaded or towing.

I'm running the same exact tires (size too) on my '01, don't remember off the top of my head, but will check and get back to you. I too am all about even wear so have adjusted accordingly. You could also do the chalk test, make thick lines across each tire then drive straight on a flat paved surface for a short distance, increase/decrease pressure until the lines wear off evenly.

Go with what is on the sticker, on the door jamb. Just because you increased the tires size, does not mean you changed the weight of the vehicle. I will also assume you did not change the Load rating(C,D,E) for your new tires, so again, any deviation from factory pressure is not needed. Overpressurizing your tires will just wear the center of the tread sooner and reduce the amount of tread patch contacting the road in corners. The pressure on the side of the tire is the max pressure for the tire. That should only be used when fully loaded or towing.

How so? for example i went from the Stock to 265/70 r15 to 31x10,5 r15. Are you saying that i should the same PSI?

Even if one is 30" and the other is 31"?

How so what? Yes, i doubt a increase in pressure for a tire size that only increased 1 inch will make much of a difference, being pressure inside a tire increases and decreases with temperature. A pound or two is no big deal, but increasing the pressure to the max on the sidewall will create issues.

Rub the tread with chalk and drive straight for 100ft
Center of chalk missing = PSI too high
Outside of chalk missing = PSI too low
Chalk evenly worn = Drive farther and or repeat to confirm...
Still evenly worn? = PSI Just right. You can add 3-5 PSI from this point to ensure proper load handling(extra passengers, daily items etc) and MPG without any added wear to the tires.

For my wifes AT tires this was ~35 psi and for my soft mud tires this was ~45 PSI both the same size but ply construction and stiffness varies greatly between the two.

For my wifes AT tires this was ~35 psi and for my soft mud tires this was ~45 PSI both the same size but ply construction and stiffness varies greatly between the two.

What AT's are they? I have B/F Goodrich's A/T 30/9.5 R15 and the guy at Costco installed them and put 26 psi. going off what the door jamb and glove box stickers said. They feel like they are dragging when i drive and maybe hurting gas milage. I've never ran any tire that low, must be a mfg. reason for it.

26 psi was probably for a 235/75R15 tire? The sticker in the door is stupid, it gives a PSI rating for the tire the car was originally configured with. Unless you get the same tire the number will not be the same and even then it can change ex... Early 90's Uniroyal Laredo used to be a 6 ply tread with steel belted sidewall and would not look flat with 14 psi in it (I ran 32 psi in that tire). Todays Uniroyal Laredo is a 4 Ply and a lot more flexy. I don't think any passenger tire has a steel belted sidewall anymore?

My wife has 31x10.5R15 Toyo Open Country.
I'm running 31x10.5R15 Nokian Vatiiva MT

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

What AT's are they? I have B/F Goodrich's A/T 30/9.5 R15 and the guy at Costco installed them and put 26 psi. going off what the door jamb and glove box stickers said. They feel like they are dragging when i drive and maybe hurting gas milage. I've never ran any tire that low, must be a mfg. reason for it.

The reason the mfg says 26 (or any # for that matter, prior to the mid-2000's) was the same reason they would come with tires with a 180 treadwear rating (original tires on my '01 lasted a whopping 13k miles!) is for a more comfortable and quiet ride. Now, Ive noticed the recommended psi seems to be more, I can only assume that this is due to the increased push for better mpg ratings. As ever tire and vehicle vary, I've always found the "sweetspot" for the tires I'm currently running.