KYB strut questions...

bushnut

so after only 2 years my right strut has died...with only mild off roading. :angry:

the search now continues to find a better replacement.

in my research I've discovered that KYB makes 2 different struts for the R50. One for pre September 2000 and one for after, dimensions are the same. my thought is that the damping will be different for the model years with the bigger engine.

I'm wondering if using the probably stiffer ones on my 3.3 with lift springs will negatively affect my ride?

suspension tuner guy...I'm looking at you bud. :beer:

as a side not I've looked into OME, but the canadian distributor has not gotten back to me yet on price and a US retailer wanted over $200 each.

Not gonna touch Munroe.

and Ultimate Suspensions in the land down under has yet to send me a price either.

looks like Rancho doesn't make a strut for us anymore. unless someone has new/old stock in a warehouse somewhere.

I just bought some KYB's off a guy in the For Sale section that he had on his 04. He ran the trap out for me on fitment:

ARB lists the same exact strut part # for 96-04, KYB has a different number for 96-99 and 00-04. I looked at the specs, the 00-04 KYB has 5/8" less extended and closed length than the 96-99. The KYB is an original equipment replacement, the ARB is meant to be used with a lift spring. It appears that the years are interchangeable between 96-04.

Not sure if that answers your question, but that 5/8" less extension shouldn't be an issue except in the most serious of off-roading situations.

I have no idea what the difference is between the two KYB part#s but my guess would be similar to your's (higher valving). If so, it'll actually be better with your higher rated springs.