Graceland

Karmann

Tomorrow morning at 5:45 AM I am departing on a journey I've been wanting to do for years- tour the South, and see Graceland, among so many other sites. I'm going with three of my buddies in my pathfinder, and I'll be stopping in AZ, NM, TX, OK, TN, KY, SC, AK, GA, MS, LA, AL, then head back home to California. I'll keep you all posted in this thread, figured you might like updates :D

Cheers!

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

Sounds like it will be a blast! And at least in this neck of the woods, there are plenty of part stores err, JYs if you need to stock up on parts. :D

(AK's a bit out of the way, though... I hear AR's nice this time of year...) :whistle:

Thank you all, I'll probably be on the road into next week. Pardon the delays, last night I had to cancel my plans of camping in Santa Fe national forest, as a lightning storm on the drive up at 2am made a motel in town a safer option. :lol:

PS: AR is correct ;)

First day we made it to the Grand Canyon- absolutely stunning. I've been to some beautiful places, but this is truly breath taking.

3AF02594-362F-4EDC-A61D-52495A35A320_zps

2D6E7962-F9A7-4255-84E4-5719EBAF1D16_zps

Here's me, probably the sketchiest climb thus far, about 3k feet above the floor on a 2 foot wide path.

96BCD598-1174-4C8B-B772-3BDC7EF08050_zps

Here's that famous crater:

A6C9BD97-4872-4BFE-B7B8-0F9C90192AF3_zps

• Like 1

Yeah, I doubt many people can stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon and not feel awe, much less introspection as to their insignificance. The ones who can should probably just be pushed in... ;)

I've never been to that crater, but have read up on it. Quite the trip!

Oh, I deleted the multi-posts.

B

• Like 2

Hey Karmann if you guys are going near Flagstaff, turn south and go check out Sedona. It's really beautiful. I've only been one time by myself and I wish I could have spent more time there. There are supposedly either spiritual vortex or some magnetic ley lines all through that region and you can hike to them and experience what ever it is that people do there. Nice little town too.

• Like 1

Hell we could get a little drive together, all four of us! Jason and I might be able to meet you and Linewar there in Beaumont, depending on when you come through.

• Like 1

My campground in the national forest just outside the Grand Canyon:

C3A30EB0-C816-4BC1-8669-665BDF74A0F0_zps

From there we booked it to Santa Fe, though stopped to see the Painted Desert, and Petrified Forest National Parks (no pics atm due to my dslrlacking Bluetooth etc).

Santa Fe though turned out to be a gorgeous town, with a fantastic atmosphere and a great art scene. I visited the Georgia O'Keeffe museum, and wandered around the downtown a bit.

90E1C7BF-1107-4ACB-9601-534F4EB74BB6_zps

We were originally going to stay here, though a violent lightning storm and general lateness to our arrival meant a cheap motel night. We went up to the Santa Fe national forest later the following day.

B2F08418-FC1C-4046-9730-6E039EAA4DD4_zps

Following that was one of the more exciting moments of my life- a southwestern storm, amidst our cannonball run to Memphis from Santa Fe (1000 miles). Driving through the night, and until a couple of minutes ago, we were faced with massive lightning strikes, pouring rain, bugs, and fatigue. I even managed to acquire a speed warning from a nice OK state trooper. :lol: so far the trip has been great, and I am looking forward to exploring Memphis tomorrow, and Nashville the following day.

PS: In Little Rock, there's a great place called The Root Cafe- very well recommended.

94F70FBB-992B-4EAA-874B-A2B1F98C62C2_zps

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

Karmann, seems like your blazing through the U.S. quickly. Santa Fe is nice to visit though you couldn't pay me enough to live there. And I work there. Live right outside Albuquerque and drive in everyday. We had some nice storms and lightning the last couple days. A rare treat here in the desert.

We pulled into Memphis, and experienced the greatest ribs of my life: Johnny Vergos Rendezvous. Perfect dry rub, truly amazing. These were the ribs Elvis had flown first class to him in Vegas, several presidents have eaten here- it's an amazing affair.

E724304F-E096-4519-8CFD-5EC156A1D21C_zps

Afterwards, I had the opportunity to partake in the fantastic Beale Street of Memphis- home of the blues, and rich with culture. A muscle car show completed the picture.

3FEB135F-EAA5-411D-AC30-19390A5B7BFC_zps

The following day, and the moment we've all been waiting for- Graceland. We finally made it to the home of Elvis, such a powerful force it was a dream come true. I loved every minute, but again I'm a huge fan. here's some pictures:

1DE5E17D-8829-4B11-A6D5-2768D3D8F82E_zps

So many gold records, it was insane.

F25C820E-C565-4003-8357-11E3F2AF7D58_zps

The famous jungle room.

FF9CFC81-3CA1-4800-BCBF-989434317333_zps

From there we went to yet a another hallowed ground- Sun Records. Johnny Cash, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, and BB King all got their starts here. It is truly the birthplace of rock and roll, and truly all modern music. See inspiring for me to say the least.

478F8862-D91A-4BDF-9BA7-1234EF848DD3_zps

From there we drove to Nashville, spent the night at a local campsite. The next morning, we went into Nashville, had some great coffee and crepes, and headed to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

So from Memphis, we spent the night at a campsite in Nashville. The next morning had a great cup of coffee, explored the town, and then headed on to Great Smoky Mountain National Park, a couple hour drive. The town leading into the park, Gatlinburg, is an absolute tourist attraction, but was interesting to see a crossection of just exactly who was traveling, and to grab dinner. From there we headed into the park:

5A339A9C-FE5B-4D6D-AE62-3A5A1DE9EEB0_zps

6929F3B0-6FB9-471E-94B1-1E535CD57F1E_zps

09192CD1-EA2E-4667-A0E2-1A008C25C95F_zps

After a quick tour of the park, we spent the night at the Cosby campground, near the north-eastern end. A great nights sleep brought a great day hike for the following day:

017F26B4-6A3F-491F-90D8-AF9011CA43A4_zps

What was most surprising, at least for me, someone who has only hiked in the west, was the lack of elevation. The highest point in the park (a scenic overlook) at just over 6000' is actually smaller than a very average mountain by my home in Southern California.

From the park we continued towards Myrtle beach, and were met with one big tourist attraction. We spent the night but as soon as possible, left towards Jacksonville Florida. In between, I found Charleston and Savannah to be quite charming, with Savannah providing a great atmosphere, especially historically.

00B1E94C-A265-4396-B446-BBF913D33406_zps

F486C347-19DE-4B4F-9E7C-D6CF70F4A328_zps

From Savannah, we made it to Jacksonville without issue. A much nicer experience than Myrtle beach. While it was not exactly like the beaches near me in terms of surf, it did provide warm water, and a quiet beach experience, which was well needed.

I also decided to change my oil in the beach parking lot (it had been 3700 miles in high heat). This would be the hottest oil change I've ever done haha. 97* with high humidity made me sweat like The King himself. No issue with the maintenance though, luckily.

The town leading into the park, Gatlinburg, is an absolute tourist attraction, but was interesting to see a crossection of just exactly who was traveling, and to grab dinner. From there we headed into the park:

I also decided to change my oil in the beach parking lot (it had been 3700 miles in high heat). This would be the hottest oil change I've ever done haha. 97* with high humidity made me sweat like The King himself. No issue with the maintenance though, luckily.

Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg: have you ever seen so many pancake restaurants in your life? Lol

For the oil change, have you ever considered a Fumoto Valve? Best $25 I've ever spent on a vehicle.

http://www.fumotousa.com/