Wont engage reverse when cold

Fijipathy

Hi all,

My 2003 R50 with 330,000 kms on the clock will not engage reverse when cold. Sometimes i have time to go and make a coffee waiting for it to engage ! time varies between 3 mins and 11 mins to engage.

Not ideal as i sometimes forget when i park it nose in on my driveway and have to wait an eternity to back it out. If i park it forward facing and can head out straight away, then it will hold second gear for quite a while and then change up eventually. As long as the car is used all day and warm, then the transmission behaves normally.

Any ideas on what could be causing this ! would a trans flush help ?

Edited by Fijipathy

That's odd that it takes that long to engage, mine doesn't like go straight into reverse from park after sitting for a bit, but I can usually get it engage after jiggling between reverse and drive.

Though if you have a manual that'd be different.

What does the fluid look like? Is it full? It should be a reddish pink colour. I know mine is a little sluggish when cold, but I'm talking Canadian winter cold...

I would drop the pan and change the filter, it will give you a good idea if anything is going on in there.

Thanks Guys,

Its an auto - very strange behaviour, given its mileage (and none of it on smooth roads) something must be worn out. Its not the weather, car is in Fiji !!

Having the trans fluid looked at over the weekend, maybe that will show something.