Transmission Cooler

ebayfish

I have bypassed my stock transmission cooler & mounted a Hayden 403, 18,000gvwr, 7.5x12.5x3/4. Its mounted behind the radiator, to the outside edge inside the shroud as to get the most airflow from the fan. It never feels overly hot to the touch after running, but I don't have a gauge. Should this be enough cooling, or should I look to mount a second cooler in front of the air conditioner coil?

How long has it been in there and what does the fluid look like? The stock cooler obviously competes with engine heat anyways, and that new one is a good size. Good call on getting max airflow from the fan.

I've only ran it for 2,000 miles since I put an Xterra transmission in. Brand new Max-Life fluid & all still looks good...Just want to protect my investment.

The problem that I see is that the fan only pushes air out up to somewhere around 25-30 mph, anything over that the air is passing through the radiator first and might be too warm to do a lot of cooling. Have you bypassed the radiator cooler?

I believe the best set up is to have a filter, run it through the radiator cooler, run it to a cooler inf front of the radiator and back to the tranny. A temp gauge is also a good idea...

B

The radiator cooler is completely bypassed. I had saw someone post about a filter kit that looked a remote oil filter kit with a temp sensor on the top, would that be best?

If I were to install (2) tranny oil coolers, would there still be plenty of pressure to pump through both is series?

I would think it's fine. I have a crappier cooler, run in line with the stock one (I have a new radiator, so a non-issue) and it never really goes above 170F during normal driving. Maybe over 180 when I tow, but that's it.

The radiator cooler is completely bypassed. I had saw someone post about a filter kit that looked a remote oil filter kit with a temp sensor on the top, would that be best?

If I were to install (2) tranny oil coolers, would there still be plenty of pressure to pump through both is series?

Yes, the filter and a gauge is the best set up, and important in my book. How else do you know how hot your tranny is running?

Your one cooler should be sufficient, unless you are in high temps in the mountains. I'd say install a gauge first, installing or re-routing a cooler is easy...

B