1990 pathfinder neutral safety switch

Norcal200486

Ok guys and gals I have a 1990 pathfinder I was out wheeling the other day and got stuck in the sand put the truck in park but the display on dash still reads in 1st gear. Turn off truck then it wouldn't start had to jump over the starter but still says it's in 1st gear. Move the gear selector to D and has no power to any of the wheels. :( just had trans rebuilt less then 10,000 miles ago. It's an automatic any advice or similar problems would be great! Thanks

The shifter is cable activated to the tranny, so make sure that is hooked up properly. It makes sense that the truck didn't want to start in gear...

Did the tranny get hot in the sand? What is the fluid like (just covering all bases)...

B

Fluid is normal... And I know it only starts in P or N but the shift is in park but the electric display on panel says it's in 1st gear. Regardless of what position you have the shifter in.

Ya the shifter is all the way up to park but the display on the cluster (dash) says it's in 1st no Matter what position the actual shifter is in. But none of wheels seem to have power to them. If I burnt up the tranny I should still have R right?

So tore into it and found the neutral safety switch to busted replaced that from the wrecking yard for 10 bucks. However didn't fix the problem. Dropped the trans pan everything looked cherry. Drained the transfer case and found burnt oil and huge metal shavings. :/ whelp that's where the problem is. :/