Body lift 2 vs. 3

Bubbley11

As I can't seem to find it ill just ask another question. What are the work differences? I can name a few, shifter and radiator, but what is the entire list? Thank you in advance.

With a body lift you will need to extend or modify at least the following:

Shifter(s)

Steering

Possibly wires

Throttle cable

Clutch/Brake lines

Probably more. I do not like BLs and have not looked into them much.

I did my body lift about 15 years ago. In addition to the earlier items, there is the need for few bumper brackets if you are dealing with a stock bumper as there will be gaps between the body and the bumper, and then there is also the gaps in the wheel wells between the frame and body. The rears are not that important, but in the front, that lets a lot of mud etc into the engine bay.

ON a 2" inch lift you might be able to get away without major adjustments to the hoses for the radiator and gas filler tube, but mine was 3" and you may have to get new hoses, extensions, etc.

Also, on a 3", the kits should come with a new steering shaft extension.

Other than that, the other lines etc, can be left stock, but you'll have to unbolt some of the clips etc, and relocate them and or bend the lines to take the stress out of them routing. Then's there is taking apart parts in the interior to get at the body mount bolts, and likely when you do this, given the age of the truck, you might find a some (or a lot) of rust issues, so be prepared to fix that while you've got things apart.

It's a lot of work, and outside of more tire clearance, the only other reason to do this is for more clearance in the engine bay for what I did - a SBC engine swap,a nd more tranny tunnel clearance for that. There used to be a few manufacturers that sold specific kits for Pathfinders/Hardbodies, but I don't think they're available any longer - just generic kits with the spacers and and some hardware, and I think there may be a few aftermarket suppliers that still have the wheel well lift lips.

Edited by V8path

I have a 3", fuel filler needed extended (came with kit), Transfercase shifter (or floor) 'adjusted' (a shifter from a D21 HB is a little longer and may be more comfortable), transmission shifter (I have a manual) I drove for a little bit without modification until I got a HB one to replace that and shape it to my best comfort (automatics are cable shifted and all reports I remember on ere say there is enough slack), both bumpers (obviously for athestitics). Brake and clutch hydraulic lines had plenty of give, as did my rad hoses (did NOT drop my radiator) but the shroud would have needed modified (didn't run one, have e-fans now). Steering shaft had plenty of spline at the box to saftey clamp to as well. All of the "oh noes! It's more than 10 bolts and blocks!" Are not really that big a deal if you just have patience and give yourself time for factoring in if something Goes wrong. Mine was 1 evenin mostly by myself (some help from my wife) minus bumper relocation ( did the front a day or 2 later, the rear I left low for a wHile until I got a 93-95 style one)

The way I look at it, if you going to do a BL might as well do the 3".

Now if someone asks what's involved in doing the Trailmaster 4" suspension ( if you could find one !) I have the instructions for that.