Sub Location? 1995 XE

Jacob211

I have been member of NPORA for a while but this is my first post and I could use the help. So I have 2 shallow mount RF 10" punch subs. The box I have now is about 8" in depth and stretches all the way to each side. Leaving it resting on top of the wheel wells pushed against the back seat. And on top of that I have 6x9 in boxes taking up space. I plan in camping a lot this summer and I can't lay in the back because of subbox. 6x9 are going in the roof after I do the amp bypass. Can any one give me ideas on how to free up space and keep both subs? Do they fit under the seats? Or??? Give me ideas and pics of your sub set up. Anything helps. THANKS!!

Mount to the roof up against the hump where the stock speakers go. Personally I wouldn't even try it, though I have considered it. I think I'd just get away with whatever I could mounting some stout 6x9s in the original mounting holes amped up and call it a day. Hell my 100 watt RF 5x7 Primes have pretty good bass and hit (sort of..heh) running off the Sony Xplod 52 watt per channel head unit and stock vehicle amps. If I were to step those up to 200 watt 6.5" with a mild amp professionally installed, that would be...it. And still have 100 % utility factor.

I think you'd be okay mounting the box to the ceiling in front of the stock speaker well.

I think if you want to maximize floor space you will have to mount the subs to the side panels behind and over the wheel wells, you may need to stretch the box to an irregular shape to keep the internal volume appropriate for the sub you are using,

Not really any room under the seats.

or move some stuff around inside the rear side cargo area's and do something like this, this box for reference not saying to get this one or this brand:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236FEX10TN/MTX-ThunderForms.html?tp=113

kind of like this, this is a newer pathfinder but same idea:

fc1lw.jpg

There is a bunch of stuff behind the rear side panels, I'm sure you could move it out of the way, there is also a brace right in the middle, I'm sure you could have something built that wouldn't stick out to far past the fenderwell, you could even have part of the box protrude into the cavity behind the panel, as I mentioned earlier to match the volume needed by the sub. Here is a pic of the drivers side from my former 94 PF:

2nqeb2p.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Just did the amp bypass. And wow what a difference! Now has anybody mounted 6x9s in the roof in place of 5x7s, that'll open up a lot of space. Anything helps. Thank again guys!

I ripped out the plastic speaker boxes that go over the rear wheel arches and mounted up a pair of home stereo Sony speaker boxes. I just got some angle brackets and screwed them to the sides of the speaker boxes and screwed the brackets to existing holes left from removing the original plastic. There's definitely more space either side now. In the future I want to cover the speakers with some nice material so it matches the interior and also so the material covers over the angle brackets because it looks a bit redneck.

There are adapters you can get to go from 5x7 to 6.5" speakers for more out of the way thump. There are also high grade 5x7s that sound phenomenal. I'm 39 but revert back to a fool 18 year old driving around rocking out in my truck with two pair of 100 watt RF 5x7" Primes...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk