I have to confess

deerhurst

I do not actually have a Pathy but I do have a 1986.5 Nissan D21 Hardbody. From what I have seen the early WD21 and the D21 are pretty much the same. I am also on InfamousNissan and NICO.

My D21 is a SE-V6 4x4 with the VG30i. 5 Speed manual with a HG41 rear end.

Mods:

Mile Marker manual locking hubs

AutoPal E-Code headlight housings

5000K 35w HIDs.

WIP:

High flow intake. Hoping for maybe some better air flow, maybe a little more power and maybe better effeciency. I am still selecting a filter. It has to filter at least as good as stock. Better would be nice, lots of find dust where I am.

Future:

Headers. Still reaseaching these. Plan to do this this summer. Has a huge exhaust leak.

Exhaust. Should be done when the headers are done. Keeping it quiet but want a little note.

Electric fan. Will also do a stock looking light by the 4x4 light to show when the fan is ON.

Pickup1_zps9e8494f6.jpg

Truck_Hagelstein-6_zps60c5272d.jpg

Truck_Hagelstein-2_zps4ff918d2.jpg

DSC_0232-2_zpsd44a8c44.jpg

Rapist Red interior... I like him already :beer:

D21s are just as welcome here as Pathfinders, your not alone as there are a couple members with them here. Were still of use to your quest for information and Nissan company!

Hahahaha! There is way too much red in that little tiny cab. I usually have ACU camo seat covers on the seats to tone the red down.

Forgot to add my blinker mod to the origonal post. Wired the corner markers to work as corner markers and blinkers. They counter blink with the blinkers with the lights on and at the same time with the lights off.

Edited by deerhurst

That's one clean '86! How'd you wire the counter-flashing markers? I've been considering doing that to my rig.

Thanks man! You have to find the blinker wire on your blinker. Mine is a 3 wire and I believe that the middle wire was blinker but not 100% sure. Y off of that up to the ground for your corner. Do not mod the harness side at the corner or it can do bad things. On the light assembly side cut the ground. Solder or somehow attach that wire from your blinker to the ground. When your lights are on and blinker off the corner will use that as a ground. When your lights are on and the blinker on, it will essentially short across the bulb and turn off the bulb. When the lights are off and you turn on the blinker it will just use ground the other way. Ive been trying to figure out how to do this with LEDs as LEDs are directional.

@teixeira, the canopy is currently a light pearesant blue. From a distance it looks like it is silver. I need to get painted to match. It always looks pretty weird when I first take the topper off.

Thanks for explaining it! Mine's got two-wire turn signals, so I'll have to work in a third bulb or something. I do like the look of the turn signals as running lights... couldn't be too hard to stick a dual-filament bulb in the stock housing.

If this is right (pardon my ASCII):

[turn signal +] [parking light +]

I _______I_______

I I I

L___________[park lamp] [running lamp]

I I

[turn lamp] [ground]

I

[ground]

... then the three bulbs only flow in one direction anyway, meaning that the LEDs should work fine. Just make sure the parking light is significantly higher resistance (dimmer) than the other two.

Edit: Dammit, looked at it again and you're right, parking light has to reverse. You could add a few diodes to a standard bulb (as a rectifier), or just put two LED bulbs in there with their polarities reversed.

Edited by Slartibartfast

With your two wire it may be easier. I spent a while with a multi-meter looking at how the circuit worked on mine. Had to use an analog multi-meter to capture the blinking of the blinker. With your two wire I am assuming a single filiament bulb which means it is eaither on or off. With that you should be able to just Y off to the hot on the corner. Disconnect the corner hot from the wiring harness. The end result should be on with running lights but the blinker and corner would flash the same all the time. If you went to ground it should alternate. With a standard bulb.

I drew that up, trying to see if it could be done easily. It would alternate just fine with the parking lights on, but with the lights out, the parking light wouldn't be able to flash with the turn signal without that third lamp providing ground.

No worries, I kind of like the way the truck looks with running lights in the signals. Next time I have the bumper off I might even do something about it!

I'm saying my blinkers are 2 wire, and without the running light in the turn signal (the third wire on a three-wire blinker), I'd have this:

[turn signal +] [parking light +]

I _______I

I I

L___________[park lamp]

I

[turn lamp]

I

[ground]

... which would only flash the parking light if the parking light was already on.