Radio installation

nige

I've got my new deck installed in the car, now i'm onto bypassing the stock amps. I've gotten them out of their cubby hole, but i haven't been able to find any information on what to do next. I'm not a genius when it comes to installing these things (i've only done 2) and this is looking pretty confusing... what wire do I connect to what to bypass these amps? I'm almost ready to rip the whole $hit out and just run new wires to the speakers. Are there any sites I can get this information from? (colour codes of wires on the factory amps)

I think the closest you'll find will be in the stereo insall sticky. I figured the wiring out with a lot of patience and testing, and it honestly wasn't worth the effort to have it hacked together. I ended up just ripping it all apart anyways, and running new wire. Its pretty easy to do, will take about the same amount of time vs. sorting out the factory amp situation, and you'll have better quality wiring if you just start from scratch.

Plus then, in the future, if you or someone ever pulls that stereo out again, they will find nice new wires! And you won't have to use the tiny wires.

That said, I almost ALWAYS run a nice fused lead directly from the battery to the stereo, the main power for the stereo...that factory one is usually too small for my tastes, you can tell when you crank up the new stereo and the face starts to dim with the beat....12gauge seems to be sufficient for all but the huge-class stuff.

Plus then, in the future, if you or someone ever pulls that stereo out again, they will find nice new wires! And you won't have to use the tiny wires.

That said, I almost ALWAYS run a nice fused lead directly from the battery to the stereo, the main power for the stereo...that factory one is usually too small for my tastes, you can tell when you crank up the new stereo and the face starts to dim with the beat....12gauge seems to be sufficient for all but the huge-class stuff.

You must be driving some serious speakers off a regular stereo deck, or you're using a 1979 vintage deck. A modern stock stereo will usually come close to adequately powering mosts sets of stock or aftermarket replacement speakers, and most any aftermarket set, without anything close to a power draw that would dim the lights. For that kind of draw, you're looking at a good sized amp and some subs. We hope you've moved beyond the realm of 8-tracks and Pioneer Power Tuner I. 12 gauge is monster in this application, and won't be matched by any other wiring in the system, until you get into amp power and ground.

If you run a stereo with regular speakers using stock wiring, you'll be fine. Move up to amps and heavier speakers, move up to heavier wiring. It all comes together.

I disagree. The stock wiring is 18 or 22 gauge. Way too small for modern 50Wx4 CD decks with multiple 4V outputs, display faces and integrated motorized action like flip-faces or angled faces. Upping it to at least 14 gauge is a great way to ensure that it'll always work properly. 12 gauge isn't too much overkill, but it's probably more than the in-dash stereo will ever need, per se. ;)

I counter for somebody to run on stock stereo wiring, then switch out to full aftermarket of the specified sizes, and find a noticable difference. Not happening. I'm talking same speakers, just switch the source and stock vs. heavy wiring. You're not drawing enough power on a somewhat stock set-up (say a deck and 4 2 or 3 way speakers). Granted, you'll definately see a gain via an amp in this situation. As for the flip down multi movement do a back flip decks, they flip down, then operate. No more mystery movement, little draw. My point of this being, an average Joe should ha :laugh: ve no concerns in going at his own stock system with an aftermarket deck. There are so many people ready to shut down the average Joe for swapping a quick deck and speakers in the name of quick sound product for cheap prices.

I fully expect 88 to try an slay me at this point.

I wouldn't mess with running all new wiring to the door speakers, though. They're usually low wattage enough that bigger guage wiring wouldn't matter plus running wires through the rubber boot in the door jamb ain't too easy. Just splice the new wires in at the kick panels. Works for me even when I'm putting amps in the mix.

Ooh I guess I shoulda put my flamesuit on BEFORE I attempted to voice my opinion to people that I assumed would be open to different ideas...

Oh well I have it on now heh B)

All I know is, every single time I take one of my cars or a friend's car or relative's car, and they are like "help me put a cd player in here" and we rip out the stocker and put in whatever deck they decided upon, and leave the wiring and speakers all stock, the lights on the deck dim when I turn it way up. Then I pull it out again and see the 22 awg wires in there that they used in the factory cuz they are good enough for stock radios...and I run a dedicated power lead from the battery, and a dedicated ground, the problem goes away.

12 guage is a little big, but the weatherproof blade fuse things I buy have 12guage wire on them, so I just run with that. And who knows when I might have to put a little under-seat amp on that same line or something

I guess the "dimming" didn't happen on my 97 Malibu, so maybe the wires were okay in there.

Ladies and gentleman, proof that a stubborn person posting with a buzz can be a bad idea. I retract the stupidity statements on my part. What do I care what you do with your wiring. You're not hurting anything, and overbuilding is a good thing. Please retire the flame suit and accept an apology from an idiot. I'm getting good at the foot in mouth stuff. WAVEY

As for the wires to the top speakers, I'm not sure of the exact routing. I loosened up the trim, and was able to get the roof liner separated enough to slide new wires up in there. Its pretty much an easy shot once you pop the edges loose.

It's cool Pickles; I know how easy it is to misconstrue what people say on the internet :)

Actually, the only speaker wires I have ever replaced were in this 81 Toyota Celica. and that was cuz way back then, for some reason, they had shared grounds or something, like the speakers grounded through the chassis or something...and the new cd player DID NOT like that one bit

And actually I haven't replaced my pathy tapedeck yet :hide:

I kinda like it! But when I do I will run new speaker wires so I don't have to deal with those old amps back there

I got the amps bypassed, the new deck is a HUGE improvement over the stock deck/amp setup. The sound is much clearer and sharper. It gives very good sound using the stock speakers, i'm much happier with this setup. I'll have some pictures when I get back from vacation. Anyone know of any good fishing spots around bradenton, fla?