NEWB saying hello

fpf

Hey guys, I am new to the site. I just thought I would say hello. I have an 88 pathy with a 3" suspension lift. I used to wheel quite often, though never anything crazy. I've had issues with my steering that has sidelined me for nearly 2 years while waiting for parts from calmini. I finally found a thread on here with great info on alternative parts so hopefully I will have this thing trail ready again very soon!

I have 2 quick questions (yes I read the common problems thread). You guys mention that its common to have issues with the fuel gage and suggested buying a new cluster, but is that only if the gage doesn't work at all? mine intermittently works and stops working. ideas? Second, I am developing rust under the backseat, another common problem mentioned. I don't do any welding, nor have I done any body work before. What is a good way to stop the rust from spreading? can I just spray some sort of rust inhibitor on it? will rust inhibitor actually stop it or just slow it? the spots of rust are probably less than 1" in diameter from what I remember, but there are several of them.

Thanks guys!

:welcome:

You should know that we love pics.

For the fuel gauge, check, if you can, the wires and see if they are good... :shrug:

The rust you can cut the bad metal put some anti-rust paint around, cut a new sheet of metal and put it there with some sealant and ribets (?? if that is the correct word) this should hold for a while...

oh, and paint it.

Hello and welcome to NPORA!

For the fuel gauge, I'd check the wires to the sending unit. Under the carpet in the back is a little port what will allow you access. It is not uncommon for the wires to corrode, and if you have rust under the back seat...

As for that rust, Try Permatex Rust Treatment. Just sand or wire wheel most of the rust off, and then spray on several coats a few minutes apart to cure and seal it (you might have to mask off the inside a little). If the holes are that small, you may be able to just put a piece of sheet metal over them with some construction adhesive to seal it and a few short sheet metal screws to keep everything in place.

B

Ha ha you guys crack me up.

Teixeira, i'm having issues figuring out how to upload pics from my computer. I dont have an instagram or anything so I dont have a URL to paste into the image box.

Precise 1, is the port all the way in the cargo area or will it be under the backseat?

Fpf: the fuel pump port is located in the cargo area behind the back seat. It's closer to the passenger side and has 4 bolts that hold the cover in place.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks! i cant wait till i get this steering system replaced so i can actually take to the trails. Just ordered moog replacement ball joints and tie rod ends. also have an idler arm brace sitting in the garage and a fresh idler arm. just gotta get a grassroots centerlink and new wheels and tires and i'll be back at it. My wife doesnt like taking her xterra wheeling because she doesnt want to scratch it.... lol

Edited by fpf

• 2 weeks later...