Wheel stud replacement

noquarter89

If it's the rear Wheels, all you need is a hammer and a nut hammer the cover off , then just hammer the studs out put the new ones in grab a nut and put it on the other end and torque it tight, There's dorman studs at autozone for 2 dollars a piece instead of waiting for the shipping lol, I just replaced my rear studs wasn't that bad at all

Yeah i'm pretty sure they are, i think you have to remove the wheel bearing and or the brakes if you want to replace them, but don't take my word for that , Almost positive you need to remove the bearings.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if you got around to doing this or not, noquarter89, but replacing the front isn't too bad. As NissanBoston mentioned, you do have to remove the wheel hub assemblies because there's not enough clearance to remove the studs once loosened.

I did it in about 2.5 hours (tires off to tires on), replacing all 12 front studs. I have moderate/high mechanical skills and only hand tools, a floor jack, and some stands. The only specialty tools I used were ring pliers (I think just for the manual hubs I have, don't recall), a Harbor Freight ball-joint separator (p/n 99849), and torque wrench. (The ball joints do not need to be separated, but I used the tool to pop the wheel studs out.)

Removing the wheel hub bearings usually requires special tools, so take the following at face value: I've only needed (for a Nissan anyway) nothing more than a couple metric machine screws, a Phillips and flat screwdriver, an awl, large sockets, and a rubber mallet or mini-sledge to remove and install them. You'll obviously want to be familiar with the process, especially during re-installation (you'll need to ensure the bearings are seated, and that the safety washer is appropriately secured...you will tighten it to spec and then back it off just a little).

Removing the wheel studs just requires the ball joint separator and wrenches/sockets (resist the need to use a hammer). Installation's done with a thick washer, and some open-ended acorn-style lug nuts (cheap, disposable), and a torque wrench. If you don't have a vice (like me), you can just replace one stud at a time and use the other studs (with a lug nut and wrench) to give you some leverage.

• Like 1

This is good to know. I need longer studs to fit my 5mm spacers. Thanks

It's super easy on R50's, for the rears just hit then out with a hammer, get some washers, and an impact and pull the new ones in. Fronts are a little more complicated, but same basic concept.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if you got around to doing this or not, noquarter89, but replacing the front isn't too bad. As NissanBoston mentioned, you do have to remove the wheel hub assemblies because there's not enough clearance to remove the studs once loosened.

I did it in about 2.5 hours (tires off to tires on), replacing all 12 front studs. I have moderate/high mechanical skills and only hand tools, a floor jack, and some stands. The only specialty tools I used were ring pliers (I think just for the manual hubs I have, don't recall), a Harbor Freight ball-joint separator (p/n 99849), and torque wrench. (The ball joints do not need to be separated, but I used the tool to pop the wheel studs out.)

Removing the wheel hub bearings usually requires special tools, so take the following at face value: I've only needed (for a Nissan anyway) nothing more than a couple metric machine screws, a Phillips and flat screwdriver, an awl, large sockets, and a rubber mallet or mini-sledge to remove and install them. You'll obviously want to be familiar with the process, especially during re-installation (you'll need to ensure the bearings are seated, and that the safety washer is appropriately secured...you will tighten it to spec and then back it off just a little).

Removing the wheel studs just requires the ball joint separator and wrenches/sockets (resist the need to use a hammer). Installation's done with a thick washer, and some open-ended acorn-style lug nuts (cheap, disposable), and a torque wrench. If you don't have a vice (like me), you can just replace one stud at a time and use the other studs (with a lug nut and wrench) to give you some leverage.

Wish you could have done a DIY step by step picture thread for people like me that need visual aids lol.