strut spacer for 3 inch lift

chrome

hi all.

how big do my spacers need to be to achieve a 3 inch lift?

or do I just run A 3 INCH STRUSPACER and a 3 inch sfd.

reason I ask is that I have raised read that sits 3" higher than the front and I want to match it in the front

thanks

I wouldn't run anything over an inch, unless you account for the strut geometry (right word??).

On the SFD's people are running, the spacer that replaces where the strut assembly actually mounts to, is offset in relation to it original mounting location on the inner fender/strut tower

maybe this picture can demonstrate, this is what the SFD guys run...

IMG_0769.jpg

Not the best,but this CAD drawing describes it a little better. The top and bottom of the tube is where the strut flanges are mounted to.

Levante%252520front%252520-%252520Tubo.j

So if you design your spacers to replicate this concept then you should be good, but do be aware that if you just run spacers and not the full Sub Frame Drop, you are going to put a wicked angle on your front CV's and when in 4WD, increase the chances of the CV's binding and eventually failing.

-Kyle

Thanks for your reply kyle.

Iv got the whole concept figured out mostly. Iv fabbed up some inch and a half spacers already to get 2 inch lift but have not fitted em since iv been thinking sfd

My main question is...

Does the sfd lower the a arms also.

And. Will using both a 3 inch strut spacer and a 3 inch sfd give me a lift of 3 inch or will it be more like 4 inchs at the hub

Lol did that make sense?

i'm smelling what your stepping in.

A Sub Frame Drop does exactly that, drops the sub-frame and everything attached to it, down with.

So your controls arms, diff, hubs, and even the engine (I think) gets dropped down with it. Thats the main point by dropping the sub frame is to keep the suspension geometry the same, just mounted a few inch lower than it was originally intended.

-Kyle

• 1 year later...

Interesting but still over my head. Apologies for the ignorance and lack of knowledge :(

Is this recommended or should I go for the spacers?

Is it safe?

Your detailed answers will entail a few more questions :P

Regards,

DJ

I wouldn't run anything over an inch, unless you account for the strut geometry (right word??).

On the SFD's people are running, the spacer that replaces where the strut assembly actually mounts to, is offset in relation to it original mounting location on the inner fender/strut tower

maybe this picture can demonstrate, this is what the SFD guys run...

IMG_0769.jpg

Not the best,but this CAD drawing describes it a little better. The top and bottom of the tube is where the strut flanges are mounted to.

Levante%252520front%252520-%252520Tubo.j

So if you design your spacers to replicate this concept then you should be good, but do be aware that if you just run spacers and not the full Sub Frame Drop, you are going to put a wicked angle on your front CV's and when in 4WD, increase the chances of the CV's binding and eventually failing.

-Kyle

I'd argue that offset spacers are probably not necessary for under 3" of lift. I use 2" of regular strut spacers with MD OMEs and a 2.5" SFD (that is, the spacers that actually drop the subframe) and don't have alignment issues. I'll know more when I jump to 3" of strut spacers soon, but that might be the tipping point for needing camber bolts. Offset spacers, however, basically assure that you won't have alignment issues (nor need camber bolts).

i'm smelling what your stepping in.

A Sub Frame Drop does exactly that, drops the sub-frame and everything attached to it, down with.

So your controls arms, diff, hubs, and even the engine (I think) gets dropped down with it. Thats the main point by dropping the sub frame is to keep the suspension geometry the same, just mounted a few inch lower than it was originally intended.

-Kyle

Nope, the engine stays stationary. New spacers go between the motor mounts and subframe.

3" subframe drop is a 3" lift. Engine stays the same. Thats why the KRfabs kit has new engine mounts.

Sent from my Moto X

SFD is somewhat a misnomer for "lift". Dropping the subframe doesn't achieve any lift; that's something only strut spacers and/or lift springs can do. KrF's 4" SFD is a lift because it includes the 4" strut spacers. But, you could use a 4" SFD (again, subframe spacers only) with AC lift springs (~2" of lift) and 2" of strut spacers and still see ideal geometries.

In Chrome's case, 3" lift (any combo of strut spacers or springs) will warrant 3" of SFD to have stock-like geometries.

Edited by hawairish