Fuel Pump

kdj

Does anyone know if the fuel pump from '96 d21 vg30 can be mounted externally from the tank? I want to remove the stock tank and replace it with a small tank. Probably a 5 gallon one from a boat. It will be for use around the farm not on the road. I won't need the gauge and was hoping I could just extend the pick up line from the stock pump mounted externally to a new tank with just the pick up mounted in it..

That's what I needed to know. Would you know how much room I'd need to fit the stock pump in? I just don't want to take apart the tank till I have to. Just hoping to either use a boat tank or regular gas can and keep with the stock pump.

Mainly I just want the truck for wood cutting in the fall and winter on my farm and want to get rid of the 80 liter tank. Just want a small tank I can remove and empty when it's parked for a long time. I have to replace the whole rear frame and crossmembers and I don't want to have to remount a tank that's ten times the size I need and I want the extra clearance. Plus I don't know how to leave well enough alone.

Edited by kdj

the stock fuel pump assembly is rather long. If you can find the dimensions of the tank, just use the complete height of it as a good guess as it bolts up right on top and the pick up filter sock sits on the bottom of the tank.

You can't swap inter pumps to exterior.

Does anyone know if the fuel pump from '96 d21 vg30 can be mounted externally from the tank? I want to remove the stock tank and replace it with a small tank. Probably a 5 gallon one from a boat. It will be for use around the farm not on the road. I won't need the gauge and was hoping I could just extend the pick up line from the stock pump mounted externally to a new tank with just the pick up mounted in it..

Check out the D720 fuel pump set up. The pump/filter is housed in the passenger side frame rail box towards the rear, so that would mean simple pickup in the tank. I'm not sure if it would supply the proper fuel pressure, but it is worth looking at as some of them had a TBI set up.

B

Thanks guys, I found a 6 gallon tank at Overton's that's 12" deep. If the stock pump set up isn't taller than that or if I could add a spacer to raise it a bit I might go that route. It's only $70 so that's not to bad and it would be an easy swap.