Extended struts help!

Qx4204

Hey there first time poster. I just was wondering about a pressing issue with our vehicles. I have a 01 Qx4 (4"SFD + 2"AC coils) and I have stock struts with the AC coils which obviously give me a harsh ride and not the 2" that I was supposed to get when I purchased these coils. So I have read about the Koni inserts ( not sure if I wanna go done that rout) and I have also read about these tough dog struts. I just wanted to know if I purchase these tough dog 35mm extended struts will I get more of a lift in the front end? Will this end the topping out issue and give me a better ride? Has anyone out there from Australia or anywhere else have any good things to say about these.

Thanks Zac

Hey there first time poster. I just was wondering about a pressing issue with our vehicles. I have a 01 Qx4 (4"SFD + 2"AC coils) and I have stock struts with the AC coils which obviously give me a harsh ride and not the 2" that I was supposed to get when I purchased these coils. So I have read about the Koni inserts ( not sure if I wanna go done that rout) and I have also read about these tough dog struts. I just wanted to know if I purchase these tough dog 35mm extended struts will I get more of a lift in the front end? Will this end the topping out issue and give me a better ride? Has anyone out there from Australia or anywhere else have any good things to say about these.

Thanks Zac

I've never heard of these extended struts. Very cool.

Does this strut have 35mm more travel than stock? Because that would mean they added about 18mm to the length of the strut. Their placement of the spring perch could have changed relative to the rest of the strut too.

so that could change the ride height even with the same spring.

Where can I read about these struts?

Sent you a PM Qx4204 - but pretty sure their extended struts are just to match their 40mm lift springs.

Best bet would be to send them an email and ask them for a measurment of the strut from base to top nut when extended. Compare to AC. That'll give you the final word!

Thanks everyone for the quick reply, didnt know where to post this or what section in all. Jyeager I read about it from a thread that was created by Rebelord. It was titled extended struts possible in AUS or something. Very interesting these struts but yea thanks guys ill have to get the measurements from Tough Dog and then measure my coils. Ill post what I find since this is a problem we all run into when lifting these things!

It should end the top out issue...but not necessarily the rough ride, thats a factor of the stiffer AC springs. for a smoother ride you might wanna try Iron Man or OME springs each should lift about 35mm but give a smoother ride combined them with 4x4designs strut spacers to get the 2"suspension lift your looking for.

I looked into these struts but only after I had already purchased my KYBs...shipping will be killer.

Extended struts have been mentioned here quite a bit, as a lot of us are running lifts and would like the extra travel, but so far no one has been able to attain any. One member mentioned Koni inserts, but that would involve quite a bit of frankenstein work to insert it into the strut system. It sounds like you may have found something new, so please share! :sly:

It should end the top out issue...but not necessarily the rough ride, thats a factor of the stiffer AC springs. for a smoother ride you might wanna try Iron Man or OME springs each should lift about 35mm but give a smoother ride combined them with 4x4designs strut spacers to get the 2"suspension lift your looking for.

I looked into these struts but only after I had already purchased my KYBs...shipping will be killer.

The only thing with that is that with the krypton fab SFD kit that I have installed came with the 4" strut spacer so I can't put another spacer on top. But yea shipping and customs fees are insane for those tough dogs as I have been told.

my bad...disregard the spacer mention since you already have strut spacers. reading comprehension goes out the window after a beer or 2. however a different spring might still smooth out the ride, though without longer travel struts a limiting strap is what you'll need to deal with top out.