P0335 - Check Engine Light

RowOSU

Took a drive down to my friendly Advance Auto Parts today after my dealership experience... Borrowed their scan tool as my Check Engine Light has been on since last year when I had my clutch replaced. Anyways, came up P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction. The guy at advance seemed convinced the car wouldnt run with that problem and suggested I clear the codes and see if it comes back. Well it hasnt, does this mean that the problem is clear?

I have had my SES light come on 3 times in the last 10,000 miles all for different things. My general rule is 3 strikes and you are out. I will clear the code and if the same code comes back 3 times, then I will replace the part. If doesn’t come on again don’t worry about. But that's just me.

Most codes don't trigger the light immediately, they have to occur a certain number of times before the CEL is lit to prevent one time errors so you probably do have something to deal with. This is one of the reasons you don't see the CEL back on right away when you clear it, not because the problem has gone away, but because the error and drive cycles need to occur enough times to light the CEL again.

Only two causes for the P0335 error code, either its the harness or connectors or a bad crankshaft position sensor.

Well then I will definately keep my eye on it. The part is like 70 bucks so if its that oh well, not too bad. But for now I will just enjoy my warning light free gauge cluster.

My check engine light came on pretty often for about 4 months, a couple years ago, and finally went away. Dealer and local shop reset it - I forgot what the code was, but they all felt it was a false reading.

m.

so it came back. blast. Looks like I am gonna be replacing my crankshaft position sensor... is this a hard fix? didnt look like it would be all that hard to get to judging by the haynes manual, I was going to pop under there today and have a looksy but I had to get to crew practice and it was dark afterwards. The next task will be finding somewhere I dont have to do this with my body in the snow....

I did a clutch install a few months ago and trashed the crank angle sensor. If its not bent inside the bell housing you can get it out with a 10mm ratchet wrench. Mine was bent so I had to remove the trans to get it out. First jack up the back of the engine do you can get your hand in between the firewall and the back of the engine to disconnect it. Squeeze the plug and pull to remove the wireing harness. Then You have to remove the front driveline and drop the crossmemeber so you can lower the rear of the trans to get to it from underneath. its at about the 11:00 position on the top of the bell housing.

Reach up on the drivers side of the trans and remove the bolt that holds CAPS heat shield. Drop the shield and lift the sensor. it should come right out. If not its prbably bent and you'll have to drop the trans. Hope this helps. and good luck.

Odd - the check engine light came on right after I got my clutch replaced. They danced around and said "we broke some plastic thing and the check engine light came on. we called Nissan and they said to not worry about it" I have stared at that idle yellow light for way too long now. Well I will jump at it tomorrow. I hope its not bent... Ugh if the place that did my clutch wasnt 6 hours away from me..... Thanks for the help between this post and my haynes manual I think I can figure it out.

THANKS-cameron

• 17 years later...

I am new here in this site and this forum. I am having the same issue with my car 2004 pathfinder SE. The car suddenly loses power, stalls on idle traffic and rpm is not normal. I went to the shop to have it scanned and it gave me this error code P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit. I actually don’t know where that sensor is located and if changing it will get the car fixed and running smoothly again. Any help and suggestions I would really appreciate. Thanks.