I need some info

TutorN1

Ok, found a R50 in one of my local jy the other day. It had server front damage and was a total.

I wasn't able to get the hood up to check the motor in it, but is a post face lift. I have a 99pre.

My question is what parts from it won't work on mine? I've thought about, if it was salvageable,to pull the motor and get it built so I could drop it in later. Maybe the same with the tranny, but it a 2wd, mine is 4x4.

Any info on it would be of help thanks.

all of the engine parts will fit. tranny will be different.

So if it's a 3.3 the motor will work, is there anybody who has tried building one on here? Just wondering how much more power you can get out of these motors.

If you want to build a monster horsepower turbo motor. Talk to Mitch from EP Racing. He builds over 1000 HP turbo Vgs regularly.

If you want big n/a power you could talk to Mike Kojima, one of the heads of MotoIQ webzine. He builds race cars for a living and he built 'project pathfinder' as is personal vehicle. I believe he had that engine with over 250whp by the time it was done. Not sure on torque numbers but they were high and flat.

You could bore the vg33 to a vg37 and use over sized forged piston and go even more extreme. Mitch can have any size vg piston made to order with all sorts of coating options . Base price is 900$ I believe for the custom vg37 pistons.

Vg34 is what mike Kojima built which is a lot cheaper and uses q45 pistons.

In short you can build a vg33 for about as much power as you want, in 3.3-3.7L variants with custom pistons.

Power limits are around 500hp on a stock vg33 with a strong tune,

Over 1000 HP with built internals.

(With forced induction)

Edited by Nefarious

Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday.

I'm not wanting a race motor, just more umf on the hwy, & pulling. 200 -250hp would me perfect for me. I'll try looking Mike Kojima up, & ask some questions.

Well title still fits so I'll just keep this thread going...

I had just gone maybe a quarter of a mile from the house to go fishing. After about an hour/hour and a half went to head back and I got nothing! No lights, no click of the starter, even my outside lights nothing?

I tried to crank it a couple of times and one all my lights came on, good and bright, tried it and went back to squat.

If it's a quick fix great, it's sitting on a pond bank, & I've got work tomorrow!

Never mind, I went back with tools, & post bust. Redone the battery posts, & it was fine.

Tried it before, just never could get the terminals clean I guess.

Hi TutorN1, I bought Project Pathfinder from someone else at MotoIQ, and what I can tell you is that it is not a race motor...but it now has the power and torque that really maximized the Pathfinder's potential. In addition, the steering and suspension upgrades described in the build make it a dream to drive. I highly recommend that you take the time to go through the project link that Nefarious provided, you wont regret it!!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: Boothill2008

I've started reading over it, & so far what they built it for is basically the same as me. They were hauling a race car, I'll be pulling horses, boats, & a few other things along those lines.

So far I've got one question, did they put a rear axle that had disk brakes, or is that OEM on WD21s? I've got an R50 & it's drum, did they change?

Hi again!!

The Pathfinder they started with, had a lot of options including the rear disc brakes! I've owned 2 SEs before this one, and neither had as many options....including the factory 3 cd player and alarm. They replaced the rotors with drilled rotors, installed different pads, and replaced the rubber brake lines with braided steel lines. Needless to say, it stops very well...I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet, but with all of the torque it has, I am sure it will have no problem. I heard from the MotoIQ employee I bought the rig from that the only reason that they replaced it was internal space. They now have a Tahoe that provided more room inside....

Hope that helps! John