So I was wondering...

AZ_Pathfinder

I appreciate the input on this thread, but really I understand the difference in the two lift options. I think maybe I'm not clarifying what I was thinking.

What I had planed to do is just the AC Lift. I realize that this will only net me 2-3 inches in lift front and back. What I was thinking I could do was Put longer than 2 inches over stock length shocks (more like 5 inches over stock length with the idea of gaining more travel). What I didnt consider was the up travel limitations on the other wheel opposite the one thats drooping. Sorry folks I wasnt really thinking about this correctly I guess. So I will stick to the pagaged deal for AC lift I guess :-(

I appreciate the input on this thread, but really I understand the difference in the two lift options. I think maybe I'm not clarifying what I was thinking.

What I had planed to do is just the AC Lift. I realize that this will only net me 2-3 inches in lift front and back. What I was thinking I could do was Put longer than 2 inches over stock length shocks (more like 5 inches over stock length with the idea of gaining more travel). What I didnt consider was the up travel limitations on the other wheel opposite the one thats drooping. Sorry folks I wasnt really thinking about this correctly I guess. So I will stick to the pagaged deal for AC lift I guess :-(

No need to give up the idea. You just need to limit your suspension's upper travel via a new/modified bump stop so that you don't bottom out your new, longer shock.

Then, make sure the new spring you have has a free height TALLER than the new shock allows the suspension to droop.

If you want the new spring to give you 2" of lift, but have an increased free height, then use a spring calculator to find the spring specs you need. (it will help a lot if you find someone with corner scales that can weight your corners).

It's conceptually simple:

2" longer compressed height in the shock.

Should yield 4" longer extended length

Bump stop increased about 2"

New Spring must have enough free height.

• Like 1

I've been reading and thinking on this one and tried to imagine me doing this in my garage. I think I'd install the 2" coils, remove my rear shock on one side, then jack up the other side of the axle just in till I see the coil (on the side without a shock) start to get loose, then measure the distance btw the upper and lower shock mounts. Thinking this would be a good estimate of extended shock length needed, no?

Have I oversimplified? Did I totally miss something? Or am I just daft?

Honestly, I'm tired from work, but trying to help...

I'm thinking that I can only go a few inches or match the lift height. I was searching through some older posts and saw a post from 01silvapathy when he only had the AC lift on talking about having too long of shocks and posted a pic showing it not able to compress I believe. I don't know I'm tired too from chasing my kids around and I'm supposed to be on vacation, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that makes sense. a spring can only compress so much. the ability of the spring to compress as much as the opposite shock drops is as important as how far the shock can extend. don't forget to also lengthen your brake lines!