Replacing the Oxygen Sensor

95champagnepath

1995 Pathfinder XE Auto

So got my first CEL, ran the code and determined it is the oxygen sensor. Ordered an OEM replacement off of oxygensensors.com and decided I would replace it this upcoming Monday or Tuesday. Found the Sensor easy enough just ahead of the Catalytic Converter, and traced the sensor wire for the plug and found that it goes up and over the tranny. Could not seem to be able to get my hands up in there to get a hold of the connector itself. It gets a little tight up there. Used the search and hounded the "how to" section and could not find any write ups on replacing the o2 sensor.

My question is, anyone got a trick for getting to the actual o2 sensor connector? Is there a way when I install the replacement sensor to relocate the connector itself so its not in such a tight location next time?

All the help is much appreciated!

I already know I'm going to have a blast getting the old rusty sensor out :lol:.

Liquid Wrench is gonna come in handy.

So I'm assuming by tree you mean the bracket holding the 5 or so connectors right next to the fuel pump?

If so, the only three wire connector is the middle connector of the three connectors closest to the fender correct? Red, grey (white?), and black wire.

If that's it, I'll have to cut it out of the protective sleeve and route the new sensor wire all the way back down and through then right?

I'll look when it is light out tomorrow...

That seems unnecessary, IIRC there is only a clip or two routing the wire that needs to be removed. Then tie a string to the disconnected end of the O2 sensor wire, drag it out the other side by the pipe, tie the string to the end of the new one and pull it back through. Oversimplified maybe, but it works with some hunting for hang ups...

B