whats the final word on new headlights?

captandy

Two of you that are running H4's, does your housing call for H4's? Or do they call for 9003? 9003 is better than H4 because the filament placement is much more strict. So if you're running H4's in a 9003 housing, you could have even better output if you used the correct bulb.

Basically the government took the H4, loved it, but hated the lax attitude with filament placement which required the headlights to be re-aimed with every new bulb. So they made the filament placement stricter and called it 9003/HB2.

Edited by silverton

I run Phillips 9003 Xtreme Power bulbs (amazon for ~$30) and couldn't be happier. Nice spread, very clear white light, and for every day driving duties they're perfect. Only issue is lifespan,which is about a year or so but that's no problem for their output.

It's all custom stuff from theretrofitsource.com

I used Morimoto Mini's, Morimoto 35W digital ballasts, Morimoto 5000k 35w globes, a bi-xenon harness that plugs to the factory so that it flicks to high beams, mini gattling gun shrouds and XB LED rings to give the halo effect. The reflector bowls have been painted satin black and the shrouds colour matched to the car.

Using properly designed projectos gives that nice sharp cut off line with that exotic blue colour band that you see on high end luxury cars (well, most new cars nowdays). It avoids getting all that glare and messy light pattern that comes from putting a HID kit straight into a reflector housing. Not to mention how much it annoys oncoming drivers.....anyway.

Splitting the housings is easy done with a heat gun. Setting up the cutoff so it's even takes the most amount of time, but these Morimoto projectors are very easy to mount and retain the factory adjustments.

Here is a pic of the housing:

IMG_1697_zpsa8c520c5.jpg

Halo's on - first paint scheme was chrome housing, gunmetal gray shrouds....

IMG_1385_zps02ce6de6.jpg

Edited by SMOKEYR50
  • Like 1

Nice, it's shame tough i don't think i can do that to my R50 Gen1 since the lense is not clear.

Yeh that's an issue - but if you can find the 'crystal' type headlights on eBay - they are usually a clear plastic lens, they would work perfectly.