Inner Fender Snorkel Viable?

mikestewart395

I am almost ready to begin my snorkel project. After flying through a puddle at work last night and driving my stuttering Pathy down the road for 5 min until the engine vaporized the water it sucked in, I am ready to snorkel.

Ok, the snake running up the windshield looks cool but I'm not going to be going that deep, ever.So I have been thinking of doing a reverse hood scoop type of breather. But then I ran across these pics last night.

snorkle_4_zpsff6fe41f.jpg

snorkle_5_zps4043766a.jpg

So I am wondering if it is something that would work well, using the space between the fender and inner to shield the intake from sucking in water.

That or this...

Bushhack02_zpsfc83b18f.jpg

Like I said the big snorks look cool but it's more than I need maybe. Opinions on this please.

mine is little bit like you want to do.... At the time (and still now) I did not wanted to make a hole in my fender... So I went another route...

Basically, I routed a secondary pipe to the air filter box. On top of that I modified the existing pipe in order to put a threaded plug.. This mean when I thought I was going to go through deep water I would plug the original pipe (from inside the filter box, and have my secondary be operational..

This secondary goes from the filter box and is routed up to the windshield (all inside the engine bay)...

For added safety, I wired a water detection device in the filter box at 2" from the mouth of the intake... This way when it start beeping and flashing led inside the cab, I know I have a decision to make.. (either I know i'm almost through and can continue or I shut down the engine live with damp interior (instead of an hydrolocked engine)..

See the pictures here : http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25150-my-new-selectable-air-intake-with-a-little-extra/?p=460747

I really like my setup and feel more confident when I have to go through water...

S.

Nice. I thought about running it to the windshield vent area but I thought when it rains or I'm slinging mud, I am going to have the same issue. I just need a dry area for the engine to breath from.

The problem of just going to the base of the windshield is that water washes up the hood easier than you would think, even if it is just a brief wheel dip.

Either make it hidden in the fender or go to the roof.

B

I was thinking the same about the windshield area. I will pull the fender off tonight and take a peek in there. Mainly I want to see if there is any tell tell signs of if there has been any muddy water in there.

MY1PATH has a write up on a hidden snorkel if you haven't seen that yet...

B

Sorry, and it turns out he didn't write it up. Thought he did... :shrug:

You should be able to figure it out or PM him with questions, I'd surprised if he wasn't willing to help you out.

well, I never did a writeup on it but I did chime in with some pictures here http://npora.ipbhost...ndpost&p=490795
gets louder on the inside and outside with the driver door open. Theoretically longer (smooth) intake tubing offers 1/2 MPG gain but I havn't seen anything conclusive yet. Oh and its a great help on those steep aproach angles to moderate water as the nose can fully sumerge before it levels out.
The dizy has breather in the cap and a drains in the bottom. Depending on RPM and Ign current plugging these may or may not cause the air inside to become superheated thus causing arcing of points and misfire. This warning is clearly persribed in MSD manuals but can apply to some stock systems.

B

Last night I attempted to take the fender off. After the brush guard, turn signal, still I have to take off the bumper to get those last 2, the wife was like "not tonight buddy, drop the wrench and get in here, it's V day" lol. I get home about 10:30pm every night. She is used to me going straight to the garage until 2 or 3 am. So the fender dismantle had to wait. But I did get good view inside of the fender when the signal was out. It was clean and dry in there. So I took my heat gun and bent an old leaf blower tube to go into an access hole and fed it in the empty area. I then used a Rigid wet/dry vac dust filter to plug one of the other air holes that was next to it. It seemed to me like this fender was made for a hidden snorkel. Everything is there and in place. It just needs to be utilized. So I plugged the fender gap with a shop rag for now, foamed the pipe and masking taped the other air cleaner pipe. At this point I was on my second bottle of wine and couldn't find my gorilla or duct tape, lol I drove it to work and ran smooth so it is getting plenty of air from in there. I should get off work at 1 today so I am going to dip in the woods behind this Business Center and test it out. Any puddle makes my truck choke so I will see today how well the inner fender area works. If all goes well then I will start a permanent install, minus the leaf blower tube, lol.

Yes Precise, those are awesome pics, and that's exactly what I am trying to do.That inner fender area looks perfect for this project

snorkelside_zpsa1ef5504.jpg

This setup is EXACTLY what I want to do. Thanks for sharing this!

If you go this route, Which worked very well for me for years (hey look my tires have tread on them in that picture!) Its very important that you retain your plastic fender liner and that it is in complete un-broken condition. Otherwise your tire will sling water and mud into your intake even on paved roads.

• Like 1

I've been trying to think out what the routing would be, can anyone think of an area to route the intake on a facelift R50 that won't make it suck up a bunch of hot air?