Issue after installing a new Stereo HU

GePa

Yesterday, i did install a new Stereo on my Pathfinder R50 ( 1998). The Stereo is an Alpine CDE-W235BT, i did the installation using a

wiring harness that i got from Metra.

First thing i do is taking out the (-) from the battery to work safe, i put the new radio, then i put the

the (-) on the battery again.

I try to start the car, i go to ACC ON mode it did work, but when i try to start the car, i just get a click.

I check the cables everything is correct, then i check the battery i touch the (-) and i try to start the car again, and it just works fine.

Why i had this issue? I tried to replicate it and i was able to do the same time twice. is my battery about to die or is something else?

PD: The radio just works fine.

Sorry for my rather spartan english.

So you disconnected the negative terminal of the battery to install your radio (good) Then when you hooked it back up and turned the key on nothing happened.

When you rechecked the cables did you touch the negative terminal? Did you twist it on the pole push it down farther? Did you tighten the nut back up when you reattached it? Sounds like you just had a bad connection and when you retouched it it made the correct contact. I wouldn't worry about it.

1)The second time, yes i did touch it by accident the (-) with the wrench.

2) I did that after i verified that the car was working OK.

3) Same as 2.

Maybe is that, but i'm just worried that maybe the battery is about to die, or that the alpine is just using way more power than the battery can handle.

Since the last few days it did take longer to start than usually.

Also i'm a bit worried that when i was making the wiring the harness to the stereo harness. i did follow this instructions:

A) Strip wire ends back 1/2"

B) Twist ends together

C) Solder

D) Tape

But i did skip point C), but i don't think that have nothing to do with this.

Edited by GePa

I would try cleaning both your battery posts and both the cable ends with wire brush, sand paper, file or use a real terminal cleaner. Give both terminals a good twist while pushing down then tighten them. Your new stereo should not affect your starting. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

The alpine only has a peak of 50W, Its not drawing enough power to cause the car not to start. I also think you might have had dirty terminal. If you are worried, find a load tester and test your battery. I think a good cleaning will fix your doubts though!